1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why eigenvalues of L_x^2 and L_z^2 identical?

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the eigenvalues of the [itex]L_x^2[/itex] matrix.
    Calculate the eigenvalues of the [itex]L_z^2[/itex] matrix.
    Compare these and comment on the result.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]L_x=\frac{1}{2}(L_+ + L_- )[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have derived eigenvalues for each: [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]\hbar^2[/itex] for both [itex]L_x^2[/itex] and [itex]L_z^2[/itex]. But why are they identical? I'm finding it difficult in qualitatively explaining why the eigenvalues are the same for both.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2
    Because the God of Physics does not care which direction you call the [itex]x[/itex]-direction and which direction you call the [itex]z[/itex]-direction.

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    Sorry I forgot to mention this is for [itex]l=1[/itex].

Okay, but I used [itex]L_z[/itex] eigenvalues of [itex]m\hbar[/itex], where [itex]m=-1,0,1[/itex] in this case, and used [itex]L_x=\frac{1}{2}(L_+ + L_- )[/itex]. I have called the z component the one in which is certain, so how can the x component squared in this case have the same eigenvalues as the z component squared?

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The operators will have the same eigenvalues for the reason Oxvillian said, but that's not saying anything about the state a particle is in. If a particle is in an eigenstate of ##\hat{L}_z##, it's not in an eigenstate of ##\hat{L}_x##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted