Given HamiltonianFind eigenvalues and eigenfunctions

In summary: What am i missing?In summary, the student attempted to solve the given homework equation, but was not able to due to the fact that the eigenvalues do not commute.
tasos

Homework Statement

We have the hamiltonian [tex]H = al^2 +b(l_x +l_y +l_z)[/tex]
where a,b are constants.
and we must find the allowed energies and eigenfunctions of the system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried to complete the square on the given hamiltonian and the result is:
[tex]H = a\mathcal{L} ^2 +\frac {3}{4} \frac {b^2}{a}[/tex]

Where [tex]\mathcal{L} ^2[/tex] here is the new operator "of angular momentum" with components :
[tex]\mathcal{L} ^2=(\mathcal{L} _x +\mathcal{L} _y +\mathcal{L} _z)[/tex]
[tex]\mathcal{L} _x=(l_x + \frac {b}{2a}), \mathcal{L} _x=(l_x + \frac {b}{2a}), \mathcal{L} _x=(l_x + \frac {b}{2a})[/tex]

I calculated all the commutators of [tex] (\mathcal{L}^2_x),(\mathcal{L}_x),(\mathcal{L}_y),(\mathcal{L}_z),(\mathcal{L}_+),(\mathcal{L}_-) [/tex]
and i found the same results from angular momentum theory.

So i assumed that the eigenvalues here are [tex] ħl(l+1)+ \frac {3}{4} \frac {b^2}{a} [/tex]
from the eigenvalues equation [tex] Hf = λf[/tex]

and since we have the same theory for "Big L" of angular momentum. We have the same eigenvalues
for [tex] (\mathcal{L}^2 , \mathcal{L}_z)≡ (ħl(l+1), ħm [/tex]
And about the eigenfunctions we have the spherical harmonics [tex]Y_l^m[/tex]
Is this corrrect or i lost on the way?

Thnx in adv.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to test out your idea for the ##l=1## case (referring to ##\hat{L}^2## in the original Hamiltonian). It should be much work to write down the 3x3 matrix representing ##\hat{H}## explicitly and diagonalize it. Then you can see if you get the results you expect.

new calculations showed that [tex][\mathcal{L}^2,\mathcal{L}_+]\neq0[/tex] does not commute, so i don't see how this process can help.

Vela i don't understand.

Whats the method you are saying i must follow.

I didn't suggest a method to solve the problem. I said you should try a relatively concrete example to see if your results panned out since you were wondering if your logic was valid. If you were to look at the case ##l=1##, you can use the 3x3 matrices that represent ##\hat{L}^2, \hat{L}_x, \hat{L}_y, \hat{L}_z## in the usual basis and calculate the matrix representing ##\hat{H}## explicitly. Then you could simply find the eigenvalues of that matrix and compare them to what you think they should have been based on your other calculation. If they didn't match, you know you made a mistake somewhere.

I haven't thought about the problem, much less worked it out, so take this with a grain of salt. I noticed we can express the Hamiltonian as
$$\hat{H} = a\hat{L}^2 + b\vec{n}\cdot\vec{L}$$ where ##\vec{n} = (1, 1, 1).## The Hamiltonian appears to pick out ##\vec{n}## as a preferred direction, so perhaps reorienting the coordinate system to point along that direction would be fruitful.

if we use the Hamitlonian operator on the YLM basis we get
[tex]\hat{H}|Y_l^m> = \dfrac{b}{a}(1-i)l_+ + \dfrac{b}{2}(1+i)l_- + al_z(l_z + \dfrac{b}{a} )|Y_l^m> = [/tex]
[tex]c_-\dfrac{b}{a}(1-i) Y_l^(m+1) +c_+\dfrac{b}{a}(1+i) Y_l^(m-1) + (a\hbar m^2 + b\hbar m)Y_l^m [/tex]

So i sould demand that the [tex]Y_l^(m-1), Y_l^(m+1) [/tex] must be zero so that the hamiltonian operator gives us exact energies and the exact eigenvalues of angular momentum.

Also I've seen a lot of exercises with angular momentum that we use[tex]\hat{n}l [/tex]
But in general case with no given value of l i can't see how i can work this out.

Last edited:

What is a Hamiltonian?

A Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a system. It is represented by the symbol H and is used to calculate the time evolution of a quantum system.

What are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions?

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are mathematical concepts used in linear algebra to solve systems of equations. In the context of a Hamiltonian, eigenvalues represent the possible energy levels of a quantum system, while eigenfunctions represent the corresponding wavefunctions.

Why is it important to find eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a Hamiltonian?

Finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a Hamiltonian allows us to understand the energy levels and wavefunctions of a quantum system. This is crucial in studying the behavior and properties of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

How do you find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a Hamiltonian?

The process of finding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions involves solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a differential equation that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. This can be done through various mathematical techniques such as diagonalization or perturbation theory.

What are the applications of finding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a Hamiltonian?

Knowing the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a Hamiltonian allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system. This has applications in various fields such as quantum chemistry, material science, and electronics, where quantum systems play a crucial role.