1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why? exp(ixA)=cos(x)I+isin(x)A if A*A=I

1. Jun 16, 2007 #1
    why? exp(ixA)=cos(x)I+isin(x)A if A*A=I
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Your notation is not the friendliest..is I the same as i?

Anyway [tex]e^{ixA}=\cos (xA) + i \sin (xA)[/tex] So i don't think it does...
  4. Jun 16, 2007 #3
    I think in the post I is the identity matrix, and A some matrix.
    The way you can see the identity you gave is true is if you expand the operator [itex]e^{ixA}[/itex] as a power series in x,

e^{ixA} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(ixA)^{k}}{k!}

For all the even terms in the above summation [itex]A^{2k}=I[/itex], while for all the odd terms [itex]A^{2k+1}=A[/itex]. Resum the remaining series and you end up with the expression you quoted.
  5. Jun 16, 2007 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume [itex]A[/itex] is a linear operator or a matrix, that the space of operators has a norm, and there are convergence properties that justify my rearrangements (below) of infinites series. In physics, we typically pretend that everything is okay and proceed formally.

From [itex]A^2 = 1[/itex], [itex]A^n = 1[/itex] if [itex]n[/itex] is even, and [itex]A^n = A[/itex] if [itex]n[/itex] is odd.

\exp{ixA} &= 1 + ixA + \frac{1}{2!}\left(ixA\right)^2 + \frac{1}{3!}\left(ixA\right)^3 ...\\
    &= \left(1 - \frac{1}{2!} x^2A^2 + ...\right) + \left(ixA - \frac{1}{3!}ix^3A^3 + ...\right)\\
    &= \left(1 - \frac{1}{2!}x^2 + ... \right) + i\left(x - \frac{1}{3!}x^3 + ... \right)A
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  6. Jun 16, 2007 #5
    thank you very much!!!

thank you very much!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?