Why have these endpoints been excluded?

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the exclusion of endpoints 0 and 24 in a problem asking for the derivative of a piecewise function. While the derivative is not defined for h=9/4, it is not important in this case whether the derivative is considered to be defined at 0 and 24 or not. The minimum and maximum of a function occur where its derivative is 0 or undefined.
Darkmisc
Homework Statement
The problem asks for the derivative of a piecewise function. I don't know why it has excluded the endpoints from the correct answer.
Relevant Equations
f(h) = 4h+10 0<=h<=9/4
f(h) = 0.5sin[2pi/5(h-9/4)]+19 9/4<h<=24
Hi everyone

Could someone please confirm that these solutions are correct? They exclude the endpoints 0 and 24, but I don't understand why, since f(h) includes 0 and 24.

image_2022-05-23_165844737.png

I understand why 9/4 is excluded, as the derivative is not a continuous function.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Darkmisc said:
Homework Statement:: The problem asks for the derivative of a piecewise function. I don't know why it has excluded the endpoints from the correct answer.
Generally the derivative of a function ##f## at the point ##a## requires the function to be defined in some neighbourhood of ##a## (i.e. open interval containing ##a##). That said, it's not very important in this case whether we consider ##f'## to be defined at ##0## and ##24## or not.

Darkmisc said:
I understand why 9/4 is excluded, as the derivative is not a continuous function.
Technically the derivative is not defined for ##h = \frac 9 4##.

Likes Darkmisc
PeroK said:
That said, it's not very important in this case whether we consider ##f'## to be defined at ##0## and ##24## or not.
The minimum and maximum of a function occur where its derivative is 0 or undefined.

Likes Darkmisc

1. Why have these endpoints been excluded?

There could be a variety of reasons for excluding certain endpoints in a study. Some common reasons include ethical concerns, safety considerations, lack of relevance to the research question, or technical limitations.

2. How do you decide which endpoints to exclude?

The decision to exclude certain endpoints is typically made during the study design phase. Factors such as the study objectives, potential risks to participants, and feasibility of measuring certain endpoints are taken into account when determining which endpoints to include or exclude.

3. Can excluded endpoints be included in future studies?

Yes, excluded endpoints can be included in future studies if there is a valid reason to do so. This could be due to advancements in technology, changes in the research question, or new evidence that supports the inclusion of previously excluded endpoints.

4. How does excluding endpoints affect the study results?

Excluding endpoints can impact the study results in various ways. It could potentially limit the scope of the study and affect the generalizability of the findings. It could also alter the overall interpretation of the results and conclusions drawn from the study.

5. Are there any potential biases associated with excluding endpoints?

Yes, there is a risk of bias when excluding endpoints from a study. This is why it is important for researchers to carefully consider the reasons for exclusion and to transparently report any excluded endpoints in their findings. This allows for a more accurate and unbiased interpretation of the study results.