Why don't cars record speed and signal usage data for legal evidence?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Messages
949
Reaction score
48
I think it would be great if cars software could historize data such as speed, using turn signals, etc which can be used in court to prove/disprove if someone was in fact speeding or didn’t use their turn signal. Why haven’t companies moved this way yet?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from turn signals, what makes you think they haven't?
 
Vanadium 50 said:
Apart from turn signals, what makes you think they haven't?
I’ve never heard of it. How can I access the data?
 
My mother in law has a dongle-like-thing in her car from an insurance company that tracks things like car speed.
If you don't speed, you get better insurance rates.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and berkeman
BillTre said:
My mother in law has a dongle-like-thing in her car from an insurance company that tracks things like car speed.
If you don't speed, you get better insurance rates.
You beat me to it. Here is a link with more info: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/how-do-those-car-insurance-tracking-devices-work
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
@BillTre and @berkeman, note that the data port is a way to access the data in real time via a stand alone device or bluetooth adapter, but I don't think you can access the car's actual black box that way.

...which isn't to say that wouldn't still meet the OP's needs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Maylis said:
The dash cam is in the works, but I want as much evidence at my disposal as possible
Research apps that can monitor the data in real time and record it. I'm not sure if a stand alone device exactly matching what you want exists though.

...edit: I've seen ones for parents to monitor kids though.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and gfd43tg
russ_watters said:
Research apps that can monitor the data in real time and record it. I'm not sure if a stand alone device exactly matching what you want exists though.

...edit: I've seen ones for parents to monitor kids though.

It sounds like what I want is the OBD-2 device, but only I have access to the data