1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is 2theta(radians) being used to find the angular acceleration.

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    I understand how the angular velocity was gotten, and why the amount of revolutions it took to travel 115 m was just 115/circumference of wheel. But why would radians need to be configured to find the angular acceleration? I thought angular acceleration was Δω/τ? And why is 2(thetasymbol) being substituted for time T? And why is the 2 there?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2
    i see that the equation for find angular acceleration was derived from ω^2=ω°^2+2αt. But why can't the formula ω=ω°+αt be used. I noticed that when i used the first formula i ended up with -305/((2∏)(53.8)) = -.9 which is correct but when i used the second formula I got
    -.073 which is incorrect. And why does t(time) equal ((2∏)(number of revolutions))?

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite, the correct formula is ω2=ω°2+2αθ, where θ is the angle through which the wheel rotates.
    It doesn't. The angle θ through which the wheel rotates is 2π(number of revolutions).

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4
    I SEE. BUT i still dont see how θ replaces time. because angular acceleration is Δω/Δt, not Δω/Δθ.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's not replacing the time. There are two different formulas:
    [tex]\alpha = \frac{\omega-\omega_0}{t}[/tex]and[tex]\alpha = \frac{\omega^2-\omega_0^2}{2\theta}[/tex]which allow you to solve for the angular acceleration when the acceleration is constant. The solution used the second equation to find the angular acceleration.

7. Oct 8, 2011 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't replace time. θ and time are different concepts, I never said they were the same.

You're correct that angular acceleration is Δω/Δt. But I never said or implied that it is Δω/Δθ, what makes you think I did?
    If you're trying to find α, but don't know t yet, then that formula is not useful -- even though it is true.

8. Oct 8, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In fact, the second equation can be written as:

[tex]\alpha = \frac{(\omega-\omega_0)(\omega+\omega_0)}{2\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\phantom{x}\ \ \ = \frac{(\omega-\omega_0)}{\left(\frac{2\theta}{\omega+\omega_0} \right)}[/tex]

So it;s more like t is replaced by θ/((ω+ω0)/2), which comes from, average (angular) velocity = the total (angular) displacement / elapsed time .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook