Find Angular Velocity when given Angular Acceleration?

In summary, angular velocity is a measure of an object's rotational speed, typically measured in radians or degrees per second. It is closely related to angular acceleration, which measures the rate of change of angular velocity. The formula for calculating angular velocity given angular acceleration is ω = ω<sub>0</sub> + αt, and the direction of angular acceleration determines the sign of angular velocity. Both angular velocity and angular acceleration can be negative, indicating rotation in the opposite direction or a decrease in rotational speed, respectively.
Justinclewis94

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, a spinning compact disk undergoes an angular acceleration of 5.0 rad/s^2. What is the angular speed of the disk after 3 revolutions?

Homework Equations

a=Δω/Δt
ω=Δθ/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand how to solve this equation when I am not given a time. I don't have a radius, so I can't find the circumference either. How can I solve this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread locked pending moderation.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object is rotating around a specific axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity related to angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are closely related, as angular acceleration is the measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing. In other words, angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity when given angular acceleration?

The formula for calculating angular velocity when given angular acceleration is ω = ω0 + αt, where ω is the final angular velocity, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time interval.

4. How does the direction of angular acceleration affect the sign of angular velocity?

The direction of angular acceleration determines the sign of angular velocity. If the angular acceleration and angular velocity have the same direction, the angular velocity will increase. If they have opposite directions, the angular velocity will decrease.

5. Can angular velocity and angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, both angular velocity and angular acceleration can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of a positive angular velocity, and a negative angular acceleration indicates that the object is slowing down its rotation.