Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is Casimir operator to be an invariant of coresponding Lie Algebra?

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    Please teach me this:

Why is Casimir operator T[itex]^{a}[/itex]T[itex]^{a}[/itex] be an invariant of the coresponding Lie algebra? I know that Casimir operator commutes with all the group generators T[itex]^{a}[/itex].

Thank you very much for your kind helping.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

It's not clear what you're asking.

You said that you know a Casimir operator commutes with all the group generators T[itex]^{a}[/itex], so I guess you're asking why that means the Casimir is invariant under the group action?

If that's your question, the group action on an arbitrary quantity X is of the form
    [tex]
    X ~\to~ e^{z_a T^a} X e^{-z_a T^a}
    [/tex]
    where the [itex]z_a[/itex] are ordinary (scalar) parameters, and I'm using implicit summation over the index [itex]a[/itex].

Expanding the exponentials as a Taylor series then shows that if X commutes with every [itex]T^a[/itex], then X also commutes with the exponentials. Thus you can pass X through one of the exponentials, and the exponentials cancel. Thus X is unchanged (i.e., invariant).

Or were you asking how to prove that [itex]T^a T^a[/itex] commutes the other generators?
    If that's your question, please give a specific example of the Lie algebra.

4. Jan 4, 2012 #3

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

What exactly is your educational qualification? I ask this because you seem to ask question you know the answer to! If you KNOW that
    [tex][T^{a},T^{c}T^{c}] = 0,[/tex]
    then how can’t you know that
    [tex]\delta^{a}\left(T^{c}T^{c}\right) = [T^{a}, T^{c}T^{c}] = 0[/tex]
    ???

Sam

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook