Why is energy the ultimate determinant of spontaneity

In summary, energy is the ultimate determinant of spontaneity. This is one of the interpretations of the Second Law. By juggling a few partial derivatives, one can show that the maximization of entropy (i.e., dS=0 and d^2S<0) is equivalent to the minimization of energy (i.e., dU=0 and d^2U>0). Or, if you're working at constant temperature and pressure, the minimization of Gibbs free energy. See, for example, Callen's Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics.
biophysics
I understand that a chemical reaction is spontaneous if it has a (-) gibbs free energy = if it is endergonic. My question is:

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Actually, the maximization of entropy is the ultimate determinant of spontaneity. This is one of the interpretations of the Second Law. By juggling a few partial derivatives, one can show that the maximization of entropy (i.e., [itex]dS=0[/itex] and [itex]d^2S<0[/itex]) is equivalent to the minimization of energy (i.e., [itex]dU=0[/itex] and [itex]d^2U>0[/itex]). Or, if you're working at constant temperature and pressure, the minimization of Gibbs free energy. See, for example, Callen's Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm wondering WHY energy or entropy are the most important considerations? Is this a fundamental fact that is taken to be true or is there an even more generalized reason why we always consider energy/entropy

thanks

I'd say that it's a fundamental fact that entropy maximization is connected to spontaneity. You can come at it from a few different directions. If you define entropy as the conjugate variable to temperature, it's an experimental observation that the entropy of the universe increases during any real process. Alternatively, if you use the statistical mechanics definition of entropy and play with a model system like coins or dice, you will observe that entropy tends to increase when you flip the coins or roll the dice, and that the exceptions become rarer as the system gets larger. Extrapolating that tendency to large systems (>1010 atoms and a far, far larger number of possible microstates) gives the Second Law. Finally, you can simply postulate that entropy is that parameter that is maximized during a spontaneous process and work from there. The results are identical.

biophysics said:
Thanks for the reply,

I'm wondering WHY energy or entropy are the most important considerations? Is this a fundamental fact that is taken to be true or is there an even more generalized reason why we always consider energy/entropy

thanks

Entropy gets folded into the free energy- DG < 0 for a spontaneous process, DS > 0 for an irreversible process.

Entropy is a fairly fundamental concept, with a lot of interpretations: workless dissipation, distribution of microstates, information/randomness, etc. The (Gibbs) free energy is also a fundamental quantity for isothermal and isobaric systems- conditions that typically hold for biological systems. Saying that these are 'important' considerations simply reflects the fundamental nature of the concept.

To paraphrase in terms of mechanics, "F = ma" doesn't always hold, the conservation of energy does.

Lets begin with one of the definitions of ΔG:
[tex]\Delta G = \Delta H - T\Delta S[/tex]

Recall that:
[tex]\Delta H = \Delta U + \Delta (PV)[/tex], [tex]\Delta U = q + w[/tex], and [tex]w = - \int{P dV} + w_{non-pv}[/tex]
(wnon-pv represents non pressure-volume sources of work, for example, electrical work)

Combining these expressions, we have:
[tex]\Delta G = - \int{PdV} + w_{non-pv} + q + \Delta (PV) - T\Delta S[/tex]

Assuming constant pressure,
[tex]\Delta G = -P\Delta V + w_{non-pv} + q + P\Delta V -T\Delta S = w_{non-pv} + q -T\Delta S[/tex]

or

[tex]q = \Delta G -w_{non-pv} +T\Delta S[/tex]

Recall the Clausius inequality:
[tex]\Delta S \geq \int{\frac{dq}{T}}[/tex]

Assuming constant temperature, this simplifies to:
[tex]\Delta S \geq q/T \Rightarrow q \leq T\Delta S[/tex]

Therefore,
[tex]\Delta G - w_{non-pv} + T\Delta S \leq T\Delta S[/tex]

or

[tex]\Delta G \leq w_{non-pv}[/tex]

Therefore, for any process at constant temperature and pressure, ΔG can only ever stay the same or decrease in the absence of an external source of work. Because ΔG can never increase under these conditions, any process for which ΔG < 0 is irreversible because reversing the process would require ΔG > 0, which is impossible unless an outside source of work is acting on the system.

As you can see, the derivation here uses both the conservation of energy and the Clausius inequality (a consequence of the second law of thermodynamics), so both principles are at play here.

biophysics said:
I understand that a chemical reaction is spontaneous if it has a (-) gibbs free energy = if it is endergonic. My question is:

All of the previous explanations encompassed what gibbs is all about , if it doesn't answer your question then you may be seeking a more philosophically oriented answer and my answer to you is that all of these concepts are all about the math . Also if you want to know whether a reaction would happen then the criteria for that is when the gibbs is a non zero value .

1. Why is energy considered the ultimate determinant of spontaneity?

The concept of spontaneity is often associated with the idea of something happening without any external influence or control. In scientific terms, spontaneity refers to a process or reaction that occurs without the need for an input of energy. However, in reality, energy is the driving force behind all spontaneous processes. This is because energy is required to overcome the activation energy barrier and initiate a reaction or process. Without energy, a reaction or process would not occur spontaneously.

2. How does energy affect the spontaneity of a reaction?

The relationship between energy and spontaneity can be explained by the second law of thermodynamics, which states that in any spontaneous process, the total energy of the system and its surroundings will increase. In other words, for a reaction or process to occur spontaneously, there must be a decrease in energy in the system. This decrease in energy is what drives the reaction or process forward.

3. Can a process or reaction be spontaneous without any energy input?

No, all spontaneous processes or reactions require energy to occur. This is because energy is needed to overcome the activation energy barrier and initiate the process. However, the amount of energy needed may vary depending on the specific reaction or process. Some reactions may require a small amount of energy while others may require a significant amount.

4. Is energy the only factor that determines spontaneity?

No, while energy is the ultimate determinant of spontaneity, there are other factors that can influence the spontaneity of a reaction or process. One such factor is entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In some cases, an increase in entropy can drive a reaction or process to occur spontaneously, even if it requires an input of energy.

5. Can the spontaneity of a reaction be reversed?

Yes, the spontaneity of a reaction or process can be reversed by changing the conditions of the system. For example, if the energy input to a system is increased, a previously spontaneous reaction may become non-spontaneous. This highlights the importance of considering both energy and other factors, such as entropy, when determining the spontaneity of a reaction or process.