Why is F=ma? (Physics homework)

In summary, forces are measured in Newtons and relate to the amount of acceleration a mass can experience.
SaifTaher
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
I'm taking an AP physics course on the edx.org platform and I arrived today at the "Forces" Unit. One of the fundamental properties of force that it's equal to acceleration times mass, but I, as a curious stubborn nerd, always look for the "why's", so I thought to myself "why it's not equal to velocity times mass?" after all, it makes more sense, but science has never and never will depend on "makes sense".

Please someone explain this to me because memorizing a law and not understanding "why" is one of the most frustrating things I experience in learning science.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is frame dependent. For example, if a car accelerates from ##0## to ##10m/s##, say, then what happens if you consider the car is actually on the rotating Earth, orbitting the Sun?

Is the car really traveling at ##10m/s## or ##500m/s## or ##5,000m/s##?

Acceleration, however, is independent of how you look at the car's motion. In all cases, it has changed its velocity by 10m/s in a certain direction.

Note that Newton's first law tells you that it does not take a force to maintain constant velocity. Thus was a major insight, as before Newton many assumed that it must take a force to keep an object moving.

Likes Delta2 and SaifTaher
PeroK said:
Velocity is frame dependent. For example, if a car accelerates from ##0## to ##10m/s##, say, then what happens if you consider the car is actually on the rotating Earth, orbitting the Sun?

Is the car really traveling at ##10m/s## or ##500m/s## or ##5,000m/s##?

Acceleration, however, is independent of how you look at the car's motion. In all cases, it has changed its velocity by 10m/s in a certain direction.

Note that Newton's first law tells you that it does not take a force to maintain constant velocity. Thus was a major insight, as before Newton many assumed that it must take a force to keep an object moving.

Thanks mate :)

Newton's second law , F=ma, is taken as an axiom in Newtonian Mechanics. An axiom means that there is no further justification as to why it holds, we know it holds from experiments where we measure force and acceleration, we cannot break it down to more simple whys (again within the framework of Newtonian Mechanics) , as to why this law is true, it just is true.

SaifTaher said:
I'm taking an AP physics course on the edx.org platform and I arrived today at the "Forces" Unit. One of the fundamental properties of force that it's equal to acceleration times mass, but I, as a curious stubborn nerd, always look for the "why's", so I thought to myself "why it's not equal to velocity times mass?" after all, it makes more sense, but science has never and never will depend on "makes sense".

Please someone explain this to me because memorizing a law and not understanding "why" is one of the most frustrating things I experience in learning science.

You can regard F=ma as a definition. By itself it is meaningless, since we must also specify F. For example, for gravity, F=GMm/r2.

Likes SaifTaher
Delta² said:
Newton's second law , F=ma, is taken as an axiom in Newtonian Mechanics. An axiom means that there is no further justification as to why it holds, we know it holds from experiments where we measure force and acceleration, we cannot break it down to more simple whys (again within the framework of Newtonian Mechanics) , as to why this law is true, it just is true.

hmm, often when something can't be broken down into more parts it's clearer than this,

atyy said:
You can regard F=ma as a definition. By itself it is meaningless, since we must also specify F. For example, for gravity, F=GMm/r2.

Does that mean that mathematically F has no definition? (again, mathematically )

SaifTaher said:
Does that mean that mathematically F has no definition? (again, mathematically )
Physics isn't mathematics. You can define length, time and mass by some physical process or standard. The standard metre and kilogram are in France, for example, and the second is defined in terms of the caesium atom. Then, force can defined using the equation ##F = ma##.

Note that this ties in with Length, Time and Mass being the fundamental units. Force has units of ##MLT^{-2}##.

Likes SaifTaher
Member advised that the use of "text speak" is not allowed in posts.
Listen saifTaher ,
A force is a push or pull upon an object resulting from the object's interaction with another object. Whenever there is an interactionbetween two objects, there is a force upon each of the objects. When the interaction ceases, the two objects no longer experience the force. Forces only exist as a result of an interaction.

Force is a quantity that is measured using the standard metric unit known as the Newton.

One Newton is the amount of force required to give a 1-kg mass an acceleration of 1 m/s/s. Thus, the following unit equivalency can be stated:

1 Newton = 1 kg • m/s2.

Boy see though ur question makes sense, but u cannot question out the facts of nature. Why f= ma , well no one in this world can answer that but one thing can be assured that f is something u feel. One or the other way, & that feeling is expressed as an expression.

So relax , understand & try to avoid questioning the facts.Thanks
Kind regards,
Vivan

Likes SaifTaher
SaifTaher said:
so I thought to myself "why it's not equal to velocity times mass?"
As already mentioned, the relationship between force and acceleration is due to Newton's Second Law.

There's another attribute that is given by velocity times mass -- momentum, as in the equation ##p = mv##. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum#Newtonian.

Likes SaifTaher
Perhaps ask yourself why you think velocity * mass would make more sense? That would imply moving at constant velocity needs a power source.

Likes SaifTaher
The Newton (as a unit of measure) is not capitalized.

Likes SaifTaher
SaifTaher said:
hmm, often when something can't be broken down into more parts it's clearer than this,
It is quite clear to me, perhaps it isn't clear to you because you don't find it simple enough. The laws in physics aren't always simple(another profound example is the laws of electromagnetism aka Maxwell's Equations).

Likes SaifTaher
Thanks guys, I totally get it now, together your explanations made it very clear to me:dademyday:

Likes Delta2

1. What does F=ma mean in physics?

F=ma is an equation used in physics to describe the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the force acting on it. It states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and the acceleration it experiences.

2. Why is F=ma important in physics?

F=ma is important in physics because it is one of the fundamental equations that helps us understand the motion of objects. It allows us to calculate the force exerted on an object based on its mass and acceleration, or to determine the acceleration of an object based on the applied force and its mass.

3. How is F=ma derived?

F=ma is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force applied to an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. By rearranging this equation, we get F=ma, with force (F) as the subject of the formula.

4. Can F=ma be applied to all objects?

Yes, F=ma can be applied to all objects, regardless of their mass or size. However, it is most accurate for objects moving at speeds significantly slower than the speed of light.

5. How is F=ma used in real-life situations?

F=ma is used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the force needed to move an object, understanding the forces involved in collisions, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and designing structures to withstand external forces.