Why Is \(\frac{\partial \dot{q}}{ \partial q} = 0\) in Lagrangian Mechanics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
AJKing
Messages
104
Reaction score
2
Question 1

When I take the derivatives of the Lagrangian, specifically of the form:

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{ \partial q}[/itex]

I often find myself saying this:

[itex]\frac{\partial \dot{q}}{ \partial q}=0[/itex]

But why is it true? And is it always true?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[STRIKE]Question 2[/STRIKE] Answer Below

When solving a double pendulum problem I built a Lagrangian of the form:

[itex]L(\theta_1, \theta_2, \dot{\theta_1}, \dot{\theta_2})[/itex]

And found that my Euler Lagrangian equations for each coordinate where coupled to each other, as expected.

But I was a little confused about the direction of motion...

Does

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_\alpha} = \frac{d}{d t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_\alpha}}[/itex]

Describe a motion only in the

[itex]\hat{q_\alpha}[/itex]

Direction? Even if the Euler Lagrangian is coupled?

Answer

According to Taylor's text, Classical Mechanics, yes. The [itex]\hat{q_\alpha}[/itex] direction is the only one an Euler Lagrangian equation specifies. But, a true understanding of the motion in that direction comes from:

[itex]- \frac{\partial U}{\partial q_\alpha} = \frac{d}{d t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_\alpha}} - \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_\alpha}[/itex]

Which is used to build:

[itex]\vec{F}=-\nabla U[/itex]
 
Last edited:
AJKing said:
Question 1

When I take the derivatives of the Lagrangian, specifically of the form:

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{ \partial q}[/itex]

I often find myself saying this:

[itex]\frac{\partial \dot{q}}{ \partial q}=0[/itex]

But why is it true? And is it always true?

Many a student has been confused by this. The short answer is that the Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from a variational principle using the technique of variations, and ##q## and ##\dot q## are merely labels for the arguments of the Lagrangian.

Consider that you have a function ##F(x, y)##. At some ##(x_0, y_0)## its value is ##z_0##. Now you want to find out its value close to that point. Using the Taylor expansion, you get ##F(x_0 + \delta x, y_0 + \delta y) = z_0 + {\partial F \over \partial x} \delta x + {\partial F \over \partial y} \delta y ##. Now if you had ##x = f(t) ## and ##y = \dot f(t) ##, you would still use the expression above, where ##x## and ##y## are assumed independent. This is exactly what happens when you derive the Euler-Lagrange equation.