Why is it right that the irrotational flow must have the velocity potential?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Chuck88
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
When I am studying the ratation of the fluid, I found one sentence: "The irrotational flow must have the velocity potential." Why? Can someone tell me the derivation of this equation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Chuck88! :smile:
Chuck88 said:
When I am studying the ratation of the fluid, I found one sentence: "The irrotational flow must have the velocity potential." Why? Can someone tell me the derivation of this equation?

It's the Helmholtz theorem, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_decomposition#Statement_of_the_theorem

If F is irrotational, and if φ is defined as shown there, you can check that ∇φ = F :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Chuck88! :smile:


It's the Helmholtz theorem, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_decomposition#Statement_of_the_theorem

If F is irrotational, and if φ is defined as shown there, you can check that ∇φ = F :wink:

Thanks for your reply and from the materials you provided, I have known some of the knowledge I did not know before. Another question is that suppose I have alreadly got the value of a curl, which is not equal to zero, how can I prove reversely that the potential does not exist?
 
Hi Chuck88! :smile:
Chuck88 said:
… suppose I have alreadly got the value of a curl, which is not equal to zero, how can I prove reversely that the potential does not exist?

Because curl grad = 0.

So if the flow F has a potential φ,

then F = ∇φ.

so ∇ x F = ∇ x ∇φ = 0. :wink: