Irrotational/Rotational Flows and Velocity Potentials

In summary, the person is confused about rotational and irrotational flows in relation to treating velocity as the gradient of a potential. They question the validity of the statement "curl(A) = 0 => A = grad(f)" and suggest that the 1/r velocity field may cause a breakdown of this statement. They ask for help in understanding the concept and mention seeking assistance from another person.
jeffbarrington
Hi,

I am a bit confused about rotational and irrotational flows, in this way:

When I do exam questions/problems, there is often a bit at the start of a question on flows about why you can treat the velocity as the gradient of a potential. The only information it gives you is that it is incompressible and irrotational. Now, I would have said that 'irrotational' implies that the curl of the velocity is zero, which I have always been told implies that the velocity can be written as the gradient of a potential. But then what about the flow velocity u_0/r in the theta_hat direction, in cylindrical coordinates? This has zero curl, but the flow comes back round on itself so can't be written as a gradient of a potential, which throws "curl(A) = 0 => A = grad(f)" into doubt. What on Earth is going on here? Is "curl(A) = 0 => A = grad(f)" incomplete?

It seems that the condition is that there mustn't be some net circulation about some point, in which case I would have said 'irrotational' does not necessarily mean zero vorticity as many sources give, but instead means there isn't a net circulation about a point, whilst there is with the 1/r velocity field. I have a feeling this 1/r thing may be causing a breakdown of "curl(A) = 0 => A = grad(f)" because of the flow's unrealistic behaviour as r -> 0.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
With a quick look at it, I could not spot any flaw in your initial logic. Perhaps we're both missing something simple, but I think you may be correct, that the velocity function is not well-behaved as r ==>0 may make Stokes' theorem not valid for this case. I will take a closer look at it, but it is a bit of a puzzle. ## \\ ## Editing..This one is interesting. @Ray Vickson Can you take a look at this please.

Last edited:

What is the difference between irrotational and rotational flows?

Irrotational flows refer to fluid motion where the velocity at any point is tangential to the flow lines and has zero vorticity. This means that the fluid particles do not rotate as they move through the flow. On the other hand, rotational flows have non-zero vorticity and exhibit swirling or rotating motion.

How can we mathematically describe irrotational and rotational flows?

Irrotational flows can be described using the velocity potential, which is a scalar function that represents the velocity of a fluid particle at any given point. In irrotational flows, the velocity potential satisfies Laplace's equation. On the other hand, rotational flows can be described using the stream function, which is a scalar function that represents the flow lines in a two-dimensional flow. The stream function satisfies the vorticity equation.

What is a velocity potential?

A velocity potential is a scalar function that represents the velocity of a fluid particle at any given point in an irrotational flow. It is defined as the negative gradient of the velocity potential, and it satisfies Laplace's equation. The gradient of the velocity potential gives the velocity components in the x, y, and z directions.

What is a stream function?

A stream function is a scalar function that represents the flow lines in a two-dimensional rotational flow. It is defined as the negative gradient of the velocity potential, and it satisfies the vorticity equation. The gradient of the stream function gives the velocity components in the x and y directions.

How are irrotational and rotational flows related?

Irrotational and rotational flows are related through the vorticity equation, which states that the vorticity of a flow is equal to the curl of the velocity. This means that if a flow is irrotational, its vorticity is zero, and if a flow is rotational, its vorticity is non-zero. Additionally, in two-dimensional flows, the velocity potential and stream function are related through the Cauchy-Riemann equations.