Why is it that my drink tastes better with ice in it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dratsab
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ice
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
dratsab
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Like, even if it is ice cold already, it still seems to taste better with ice. I'm guessing it's just a psychological thing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The melting ice can add a bit of variation to the taste. Some people like whiskey "neat", some "on the rocks" and some "on the rocks with branch". That can be quite a bit of variation without introducing flavored mixers. I have a friend who likes bourbon on the rocks, and ends up nursing that watery mix at the end after much of the ice has melted.
 
I just opened a bottle of wine I was given, wasn't that good, so I added ice. Much better.

No, I would not normally add ice to wine.
 
The aromatics in cheep booze, cheep wine, cheep beer are just nasty. The aromatics in expensive booze, expensive wine, expensive beer are quite tasty. Whether those aromatics are nasty or tasty, the amount rises drastically as the temperature is increased.

Lesson to be learned: If you serve rotgut, make sure you serve it ice cold. If you serve the good stuff, you are free to take umbrage at the dolt who wants it on ice.
 
D H said:
If you serve the good stuff, you are free to take umbrage at the dolt who wants it on ice.

Not really. Just serve him less of the precious liquid, which isn't too difficult to jusify with his silly demand (put the ice cubes in first, THEN pour the liquid, not the other way around!). You could also add tap water. That should serve him.
 
You start off the party with the good stuff, then you poor the cheap stuff into the expensive bottles after your guests have been drinking, they won't notice. I learned that from an advice column.

I found out that many brands of hard liquor that are expensive sell the same stuff under cheaper labels. It was on tv, and they visited several distilleries. Of course the REALLY GOOD stuff, is always sold as the REALLY GOOD stuff, it's just the bottom of the line stuff from good distilleries that's also sold off label for much less.
 
Evo said:
You start off the party with the good stuff, then you poor the cheap stuff into the expensive bottles after your guests have been drinking, they won't notice. I learned that from an advice column.

I found out that many brands of hard liquor that are expensive sell the same stuff under cheaper labels. It was on tv, and they visited several distilleries. Of course the REALLY GOOD stuff, is always sold as the REALLY GOOD stuff, it's just the bottom of the line stuff from good distilleries that's also sold off label for much less.

That is funny. Of course after drinking enough, they shouldn't notice the difference in just about anything, though.
 
Newai said:
That is funny. Of course after drinking enough, they shouldn't notice the difference in just about anything, though.
Exactly.
 
Newai said:
That is funny. Of course after drinking enough, they shouldn't notice the difference in just about anything, though.
Except the gender of the others at the party. Usually, that is..
 
Newai said:
That is funny. Of course after drinking enough, they shouldn't notice the difference in just about anything, though.
Not a new concept, of course. Refer to the Biblical account of the Marriage at Cana (water to wine) for an example. The chief waiter remarked to the bride-groom that he had reversed the custom of serving the best wine first.