Why is it that my drink tastes better with ice in it?

• Thread starter dratsab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary: Referring to Jesus as the "new Moses" and indicating that he was the one who would bring a new era of spiritual enlightenment to the people, he replied "Let them drink of my wine first; and then they will know that I am the true vine." Referring to Jesus as the "new Moses" and indicating that he was the one who would bring a new era of spiritual enlightenment to the people, he replied "Let them drink of my wine first; and then they will know that I am the true vine."
dratsab
Like, even if it is ice cold already, it still seems to taste better with ice. I'm guessing it's just a psychological thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The melting ice can add a bit of variation to the taste. Some people like whiskey "neat", some "on the rocks" and some "on the rocks with branch". That can be quite a bit of variation without introducing flavored mixers. I have a friend who likes bourbon on the rocks, and ends up nursing that watery mix at the end after much of the ice has melted.

I just opened a bottle of wine I was given, wasn't that good, so I added ice. Much better.

No, I would not normally add ice to wine.

The aromatics in cheep booze, cheep wine, cheep beer are just nasty. The aromatics in expensive booze, expensive wine, expensive beer are quite tasty. Whether those aromatics are nasty or tasty, the amount rises drastically as the temperature is increased.

Lesson to be learned: If you serve rotgut, make sure you serve it ice cold. If you serve the good stuff, you are free to take umbrage at the dolt who wants it on ice.

D H said:
If you serve the good stuff, you are free to take umbrage at the dolt who wants it on ice.

Not really. Just serve him less of the precious liquid, which isn't too difficult to jusify with his silly demand (put the ice cubes in first, THEN pour the liquid, not the other way around!). You could also add tap water. That should serve him.

You start off the party with the good stuff, then you poor the cheap stuff into the expensive bottles after your guests have been drinking, they won't notice. I learned that from an advice column.

I found out that many brands of hard liquor that are expensive sell the same stuff under cheaper labels. It was on tv, and they visited several distilleries. Of course the REALLY GOOD stuff, is always sold as the REALLY GOOD stuff, it's just the bottom of the line stuff from good distilleries that's also sold off label for much less.

Evo said:
You start off the party with the good stuff, then you poor the cheap stuff into the expensive bottles after your guests have been drinking, they won't notice. I learned that from an advice column.

I found out that many brands of hard liquor that are expensive sell the same stuff under cheaper labels. It was on tv, and they visited several distilleries. Of course the REALLY GOOD stuff, is always sold as the REALLY GOOD stuff, it's just the bottom of the line stuff from good distilleries that's also sold off label for much less.

That is funny. Of course after drinking enough, they shouldn't notice the difference in just about anything, though.

Newai said:
That is funny. Of course after drinking enough, they shouldn't notice the difference in just about anything, though.
Exactly.

Newai said:
Except the gender of the others at the party. Usually, that is..

Newai said:
Not a new concept, of course. Refer to the Biblical account of the Marriage at Cana (water to wine) for an example. The chief waiter remarked to the bride-groom that he had reversed the custom of serving the best wine first.

1. Why does ice make my drink taste better?

Ice can enhance the flavor of your drink by lowering its temperature. This causes the molecules in your drink to move slower, reducing its bitterness and making it taste smoother.

2. How does ice affect the texture of my drink?

Adding ice to a drink can change its texture by making it thicker and more viscous. This is because the cold temperature of the ice causes the molecules in the drink to move closer together, creating a thicker consistency.

3. Can ice change the taste of different types of drinks?

Yes, ice can change the taste of different types of drinks depending on their composition. For example, adding ice to a carbonated drink can cause it to lose some of its carbonation, resulting in a less fizzy taste. On the other hand, ice can enhance the flavors of fruit juices and cocktails.

4. Is there a specific type of ice that works best for drinks?

There is no specific type of ice that works best for all drinks. However, for cocktails, larger ice cubes are preferred as they melt slower and dilute the drink less. For carbonated drinks, smaller ice cubes or crushed ice may be preferred to maintain the carbonation. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.

5. Can too much ice ruin the taste of a drink?

In some cases, too much ice can dilute the drink and affect its flavor. This is especially true for drinks that are meant to be served at room temperature or warmer, such as wine or whiskey. It is best to use the appropriate amount of ice for the type of drink being served.