Why is my calculation for the height of the building off?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Toranc3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
Toranc3
Messages
189
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A ball is thrown straight up from the edge of the roof of a building. A second ball is dropped from the roof 1 second later. You may ignore air resistance

What must the height of the building be for both balls to reach the ground at the same time if vo is 6.0m/s?

Homework Equations



y=yo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)

t2=t1-1seconds


The Attempt at a Solution



I chose positive going down

ball 2:

y=yo+vo*t +1/2a*t^(2)

y=4.905m/s^(2)*t2^(2)
y=4.905m/s^(2)*(t1-1s)^(2)

y=4.905m/s^(2)t1^(2)-9.81m/s*t1+4.905m

ball 1

y=yo+vo*t +1/2a*t^(2)

y=-6m/s*t1 + 4.90m/s^(2) *t1^(2)

Set the final equations equal to each other:
y=y

4.905m/s^(2)t1^(2)-9.81m/s*t1+4.905m=-6m/s*t1 + 4.90m/s^(2) *t1^(2)

4.905m=3.81m/s*t1

t1=1.2874 seconds

plug t1 back into equation for ball 1

I get 0.4051 m but the answer is 0.411 m

What did I do wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Toranc3 said:

Homework Statement



A ball is thrown straight up from the edge of the roof of a building. A second ball is dropped from the roof 1 second later. You may ignore air resistance

What must the height of the building be for both balls to reach the ground at the same time if vo is 6.0m/s?

Homework Equations



y=yo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)

t2=t1-1seconds


The Attempt at a Solution



I chose positive going down

ball 2:

y=yo+vo*t +1/2a*t^(2)

y=4.905m/s^(2)*t2^(2)
y=4.905m/s^(2)*(t1-1s)^(2)

y=4.905m/s^(2)t1^(2)-9.81m/s*t1+4.905m

ball 1

y=yo+vo*t +1/2a*t^(2)

y=-6m/s*t1 + 4.90m/s^(2) *t1^(2)

Set the final equations equal to each other:
y=y

4.905m/s^(2)t1^(2)-9.81m/s*t1+4.905m=-6m/s*t1 + 4.90m/s^(2) *t1^(2)

4.905m=3.81m/s*t1

t1=1.2874 seconds

plug t1 back into equation for ball 1

I get 0.4051 m but the answer is 0.411 m

What did I do wrong?

I have not checked your calculations closely but a couple of things you may look for.

Your answer is very close, I wonder if there is:
(a) some rounding errors?
(b) the setter used g = 9.8 rather than 9.81?
(c) the setter used g = 10 rather than 9.81?
 
PeterO said:
I have not checked your calculations closely but a couple of things you may look for.

Your answer is very close, I wonder if there is:
(a) some rounding errors?
(b) the setter used g = 9.8 rather than 9.81?
(c) the setter used g = 10 rather than 9.81?

Yeah your right. Thanks buddy!
 
You say in your post "I chose positive going down". If you do that, and the ball were thrown up, [itex]v_0[/itex] must be negative.
 
HallsofIvy said:
You say in your post "I chose positive going down". If you do that, and the ball were thrown up, [itex]v_0[/itex] must be negative.

I cat and pasted from original

y=-6m/s*t1 + 4.90m/s^(2) *t1^(2)

he had -6 ??