Why is my computer not moving away from me in an expanding universe?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Andy_Electron
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expanding Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Andy_Electron
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi

Im new here so please be kind :smile: .
I just wondered, since we live in an "expanding" universe, why is my computer not moving away from me as i type this message? Light from most of the stars/galaxies in the sky is redshifted so they are moving away from me (or so I am told), why not my computer? Is it because my computer is actually moving away from me, but just very slowly or have a completely missed the point and not understood the concept of an expanding universe (i think this is probably the case).
Just so you know how to gauge your response, I am an A Level student (UK) and I am going to University this year to study Physics.

Thanks for any help you can give me and remember I am new so don't be too harsh when you tell me i don't have a clue about Physics :smile: .

Andy
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thankyou that has helped me loads.
Sorry, i really should have searched before posting.

Thanks for your response anyway :smile: