Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why is Planck radiation the most radiation a body can emit?

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    Why is Planck radiation the greatest amount of radiation that any body at thermal equilibrium can emit from its surface, whatever its chemical composition or surface structure?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The clue is in the definition... what would it mean if the body could emit more?
    What would happen?

4. Mar 30, 2016 #3
    So that's an inherent fact? Planck radiation depends on the temperature of the body, so for example at room temperature a body emits infared radiation and cannot be seen. Whereas at the surface of the sun, it emits visible light as well. I guess Planck radiation is inherently the limit, but refering to it when in fact in radiates another light by means of Plack confuses me.

5. Apr 1, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The definition of plank radiation is not "the inherent limit of radiation"... it's a bit more complicated than that and it arises as a consequence of other things. However: if a body radiated beyond the plank limit, then that would be a contradiction in terms ... so say the body is emitting radiation that can be found by the plank-limit equation ... we can ask, how is it that this is the limit? What mechanism says "no more"?

Your question amounts to asking about the physical mechanism governing the "inherent" limit.
    I asked a guiding question designed to help you to think about it.

I'll try again:
    The amount of radiation a body emits depends on it's temperature - the amount of radiation it receives depends on the temperature of it's environment.
    If the body emits more than it receives, the environment heats up until what happens?

Plank radiation is for a blackbody: what is the definition of a blackbody?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted