Why is q=0 for Simple Roots in Lie Algebras?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
spookyfish
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
If [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are simple roots, then [itex]\alpha-\beta[/itex] is not. This means that
[tex] E_{-\vec{\alpha}}|E_{\vec{\beta}}\rangle = 0[/tex]
Now, according to the text I read, this means that [itex]q[/itex] in the formula
[tex] \frac{2\vec{\alpha}\cdot \vec{\mu}}{\vec{\alpha}^2}=-(p-q)[/tex]
is zero, where [itex]\vec{\mu}[/itex] is a weight, and [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] are integers. I couldn't understand why [itex]q=0[/itex], if someone could explain to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
spookyfish said:
If [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are simple roots, then [itex]\alpha-\beta[/itex] is not. This means that
[tex] E_{-\vec{\alpha}}|E_{\vec{\beta}}\rangle = 0[/tex]
Now, according to the text I read, this means that [itex]q[/itex] in the formula
[tex] \frac{2\vec{\alpha}\cdot \vec{\mu}}{\vec{\alpha}^2}=-(p-q)[/tex]
is zero, where [itex]\vec{\mu}[/itex] is a weight, and [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] are integers. I couldn't understand why [itex]q=0[/itex], if someone could explain to me.
Eα is treated as a ladder operator, when it acts on a state of some weight say |μ> it adds to it and give something proportional to|μ+α>. E-α will do the opposite.

In general, ##(E_α)^{P+1}|μ> =C E_α|μ+pα>=0## and ##(E_{-α})^{q+1}|μ> =C E_α|μ-qα>=0## for positive integers p and q.

comparing to your equation,
##E_{-\vec{\alpha}}|μ\rangle = 0##, we have ##q=0##.