Why is the circumference-to-diameter ratio constant in circles?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter akashpandey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 6K views
akashpandey said:
yes .14159 and so on :nb) .
please can you explain ?

What exactly do you want explained? Have you understood anything that's been said in this thread so far?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
akashpandey said:
what is exact measurement of that last part since the measurement of that last part is .142 so on is infinite so its length is also .142 and so on

The exact length is three less than pi: π-3 = 0.14159...
 
akashpandey said:
but how the length .142 is exact??

Drakkith said:
How isn't it?

To clarify, I'm asking so that I understand your thinking and level of knowledge on this.
 
akashpandey said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attac...1/?temp_hash=586afacbbfb47e99be368397d4138bd7.
can somebody explain me the measurement of last part of the circle i.e .3142 and so on.
means what is the exact measurement of that last part?
All I see in your picture is a circle with the diameter marked (but numerical value given) and a small section marked off, labeled ".14159...". There does not seem to be any reason given for that section to be marked or any explanation of what that means. I might guess that the ".14159", simply because it is the first 5 decimal places [itex]\pi[/itex], is supposed to be the decimal part of [itex]\pi[/itex], [itex]3- \pi[/itex] but I have no idea what it is really intended to show
 
akashpandey said:
but how the length .142 is exact??
0.14159 (and so on) is a definite number between 0 and 1. Just because there's a decimal, it doesn't mean that it's not "real" or that it's "infinite" like you've said along this thread.