Miike012
- 1,009
- 0
Mentallic said:If we considered the coefficient of y2, then we'd have to equate that coefficient to
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\log_ex\right)^2[/tex]Do you understand how they found the coefficient of y in the binomial expansion?
Miike012 said:From series (2): (1+x)y = 1 + yx + y(y-1)/2! x^2 + ...
The coeff. of the first term is 0.
second term is x
third term: y(y-1)/2! x2 = y2x2 /2! - yx2 /2!... The coeff. of y from the third term is -x2 /2!..
Is that what they did?
Miike012 said:Then what did they do next to get arrive to loge(x+1) = x - x2/2! +...
Mentallic said:Yes.
We essentially have these two series:
[tex](1+x)^y=a_0(x)+a_1(x)y+a_2(x)y^2+...[/tex]
and
[tex](1+x)^y=b_0(x)+b_1(x)y+b_2(x)y^2+...[/tex]
hence we can equate each series since they're both equal to (1+x)y so we get
[tex]a_0(x)+a_1(x)y+a_2(x)y^2+...= b_0(x)+b_1(x)y+b_2(x)y^2+...[/tex]
Now, for these two series to be exactly equivalent, the coefficient of y0, y1,y2,... must all be equal, hence we have that
[tex]a_0(x)=b_0(x)[/tex]
[tex]a_1(x)=b_1(x)[/tex]
etc.
and since for series (1) we had [itex]a_1(x)=\log_ea[/itex] then this must be equal to [itex]b_1(x)[/itex] which is the y coefficient of the binomial expansion which you just found.
Miike012 said:I think I understand now...
From series (2) we have:
1 + yx + y(y-1)x2/2! + ... = 1 + y(x - x2/2! + x3/3! - ...) +y2*f(x) + ...
From series (1) and (2) we have:
yloge(1+x) = y(x - x2/2! + x3/3! - ...)
and
loge(1+x) = (x - x2/2! + x3/3! - ...)
Thanks I got it
Miike012 said:And from series (1) and (2) I can also calculate loge(1+x)n where n = 1,2,3,4,...