Why is the constant positive in y = 1/(6x-x²+13)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
UrbanXrisis
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
1
f(3)=1/4

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{y}=\int (6-2x)dx[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{y}=6x-x^2+C[/tex]
[tex]-4=18-9+C[/tex]
[tex]C=-13[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{y}=6x-x^2-13[/tex]
[tex]y=-\frac{1}{6x-x^2-13}[/tex]
the answer is...
[tex]y=\frac{1}{6x-x^2+13}[/tex]

why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the negative was distributed before the Constant was added.. I just don't know why?
 
[tex]\int \frac{dy}{y}[/tex] is not [tex]\frac{-1}{y}[/tex]
 
sorry, it's y^2

f(3)=1/4

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{y^2}=\int (6-2x)dx[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{y}=6x-x^2+C[/tex]
[tex]-4=18-9+C[/tex]
[tex]C=-13[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{y}=6x-x^2-13[/tex]
[tex]y=-\frac{1}{6x-x^2-13}[/tex]
the answer is...
[tex]y=\frac{1}{6x-x^2+13}[/tex]

why?
 
[tex]-\frac{1}{y}=6x-x^2+C[/tex]

[tex]y = -\frac{1}{6x-x^2+c}[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{1}{4} = \frac{1}{9+C}[/tex]

C = 13
 
sub that back in... you get the same equation as I do...
 
I'm sorry, C is -13, and yeah, the one you got is correct.
 
the book's answer is http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/phy001.jpg

I don't see how they got that answer...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You wrote the answer in correct in your first post, and unless there's a new math system where

C + 9 = 4, and C = 18 theyre wrong. C is -13
 
I took the answers right off of the college-board website! wow...