Why is the Czech Republic known for beer and tall people?

• Thread starter stickythighs
  • Start date
In summary, Czechs are known for their love of beer, their average height, their reserved nature and their tendency to only work when necessary. They are also said to have beautiful women, but this is subjective. Czech history is a blend of Germanic and Slavic influences, and the country has a rich cultural heritage. However, the characteristics of Czech people can vary and can only truly be understood by experiencing the country firsthand.
stickythighs
I'm mostly of Czech descent. Here's what I've read and heard about the country from multiple sources:

Czechs drink copious amounts of beer

My mother says this. My father told me this. Almost every single website or message forum about Czech culture I've ever seen mentions this.

---------

Czechs tend to be tall

Several people at the myspace Czech forum have claimed that Czechs tend to be tall. My parents both told me that Czechs are average height for white people. I suppose Czechs tend to be tall compared to, say, Asians and Latinos.

I am only 5'1".

------------

Czechs don't smile much

They say that if one smiled when the Czech Republic ( or maybe the country was called Czechoslovakia then) was part of the Soviet Union, people would wonder what you might have in your house that you're smiling about. And it could encourage someone to break in your house.

--------------

Czechs don't work as hard as Americans

That's what they say at myspace.

----------------

Czech women are beautiful

I don't think that Czech women tend to be more or less pretty than the average woman of other nationalities. I think that people do this "our women are the prettiest" for every nationality.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do Czechs also write in excessively large, bold characters?

I think it would be easier on the eyes if you used a closer to normal font.

I'm not Czech but I have a lot of Czech friends. My observations.

Czechs drink copious amounts of beer

That's what they say, they invented it (Plzen) but their consumption is certainly more modest than for instance the German.

Czechs tend to be tall

Not really. I'm taller (5'11") than the ones I know

Czechs don't smile much

Smiling is less of a European tradition. Most don't smile much. If they smile, or laugh then there is a reason for it. They laugh a lot.

Czechs don't work as hard as Americans

No, They work only when there is a reason for it.

Czech women are beautiful

Certainly

And the point of the thread is?

Monique said:
And the point of the thread is?

I thought
he concluded that Americans deserve Czech women more than their men.

I've never heard any of this, and it really doesn't matter to me what people post on myspace, or what others say about stereotyping nationalities. It does not seem fair to me, for all the hard working, smiling Czechs would disagree.

Yo, Czech this out. Czech it while I rzech it. Czech please! . . . I forgot what I was doing now.

You have to have some purpose for a thread, you didn't state what you wished to discuss.

Do you have a point you wish to discuss?

Stickythighs, if I hid you in my closet, I would be cacheing a small Czech :wink: .

Evo said:
You have to have some purpose for a thread, you didn't state what you wished to discuss.

Do you have a point you wish to discuss?

Evo,

My point is I want to know what the characteristics of Czech people are.

lisab said:
Stickythighs, if I hid you in my closet, I would be cacheing a small Czech :wink: .

You would be cacheing a small Czech-American.

stickythighs said:
Evo,

My point is I want to know what the characteristics of Czech people are.

I think you can only find out by going there, characteristics are very subjective. I can tell you characteristics of Dutch people vs other nations, but that wouldn't give you a fair idea how we really are.

Here is a site with some history of the Czech Republic.

http://www.myczechrepublic.com/czech-history/great-moravian-empire.html

and there is this article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Slavs

That part of central Europe is a blend of Germannic and Slavic peoples.

This map shows some tribes (primarily Gepids, Burgundians and Vandals - all of whom moved into western Europe under pressure from Huns and Alans in the 5th cent) in the area.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Roman_empire_395.jpg

Looks like a list for every country on Earth.

Related to Why is the Czech Republic known for beer and tall people?

1. Why is the Czech Republic known for beer?

The Czech Republic has a long history of brewing beer, dating back to the 9th century. The country's climate and soil are ideal for growing hops, a key ingredient in beer. Additionally, the Czechs have perfected the art of brewing with their own unique techniques, resulting in high-quality, flavorful beer that is enjoyed and recognized worldwide.

2. What is the significance of beer in Czech culture?

Beer is deeply ingrained in Czech culture and is considered a national treasure. It is a staple in social gatherings, festivals, and daily life. The Czechs even have their own word for beer, "pivo", and they consume more beer per capita than any other country in the world.

3. How did tall people become associated with the Czech Republic?

The average height of Czechs is significantly taller than the global average. This can be attributed to a combination of genetics, diet, and lifestyle. The Czech people have a diet rich in protein and dairy, which is essential for growth. They also have a strong sports culture and place a high value on physical activity.

4. Are there any specific factors that contribute to the tall stature of Czechs?

There are several factors that contribute to the tall stature of Czechs. One is their genetic makeup, as they have a mix of Slavic and Germanic ancestry. Another is their diet, which is rich in calcium, vitamin D, and other nutrients essential for bone growth. Additionally, the country's healthcare system and emphasis on physical activity also play a role in maintaining the tall stature of the population.

5. How does the Czech Republic compare to other countries in terms of beer and tall people?

The Czech Republic is often considered the beer capital of the world, producing and consuming the most beer per capita. In terms of height, the Czechs rank among the top 10 tallest nations in the world. However, there are other countries known for their tall population, such as the Netherlands and Sweden, and for their beer, such as Germany and Belgium. But the combination of high-quality beer and tall people is what makes the Czech Republic stand out.