Why is the efficiency of a rubber band slingshot constant

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
CTHAEH
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to explain for a lab, why the efficiency of a rubber band slingshot constant for different stretch lengths. I don't need math, just a general explanation of why kinetic energy of projectile/elastic potential energy in rubber band is constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I really couldn't think of anything. Please help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
CTHAEH said:

Homework Statement


I need to explain for a lab, why the efficiency of a rubber band slingshot constant for different stretch lengths. I don't need math, just a general explanation of why kinetic energy of projectile/elastic potential energy in rubber band is constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I really couldn't think of anything. Please help
Not sure I can answer it either, in the sense of a reasonable basis for predicting that result.
But it might help to think about the two phases, stretching and releasing. If you were to plot the extension against tension during that cycle, what would you expect?
 
Perhaps a slingshot is close to ideal? In which case the efficiency is always close to 100%?
 
CWatters said:
Perhaps a slingshot is close to ideal? In which case the efficiency is always close to 100%?
Possibly, but in that case one could look at loss, i.e. 1-efficiency, thereby exposing variation better.