Why is the general form of the wave equation a second order partial derivative?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Michael95
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
When I deduct the the general form of wave equation, I noticed it has a second order partial derivative form. I am wondering why wave equation has a second order partial derivative form nor a first order partial derivative form?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Michael95 said:
When I deduct the the general form of wave equation, I noticed it has a second order partial derivative form. I am wondering why wave equation has a second order partial derivative form nor a first order partial derivative form?

@Michael95 -- Welcome to the PF. If you wanted your thread moved, you should have clicked the Report button and asked the Mentors to move it. I have deleted your other thread, so this thread here can continue. :smile:
 
berkeman said:
@Michael95 -- Welcome to the PF. If you wanted your thread moved, you should have clicked the Report button and asked the Mentors to move it. I have deleted your other thread, so this thread here can continue. :smile:
Aha, now we are talking...
 
berkeman said:
@Michael95 -- Welcome to the PF. If you wanted your thread moved, you should have clicked the Report button and asked the Mentors to move it. I have deleted your other thread, so this thread here can continue. :smile:
Ha, I see. I am just join PF few minute ago. Thank you for tip.
 
I have upload a picture. There is my deduction process. I wondering why wave equation has a second order partial derivative form?
 
Attachments
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 629
Michael95 said:
I have upload a picture. There is my deduction process. I wondering why wave equation has a second order partial derivative form?
I think because it is boring...Laughing out loud Click me fast!. (Take your time)[Need anything else?]
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
ToBePhysicist said:
I think because it is boring...Laughing out loud Click me fast!. (Take your time)[Need anything else?]
I see. The first oder wave equation can not perfectly describe a wave. Thank you for link.
 
Michael95 said:
I see. The first oder wave equation can not perfectly describe a wave. Thank you for link.
Glad I helped ^_^