Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetry in second order partial derivatives and chain rule

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    When can I do the following where ##h_{i}## is a function of ##(x_{1},...,x_{n})##?

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{k}}\frac{\partial f(h_{1},...,h_{n})}{\partial h_{m}}\overset{?}{=}\frac{\partial}{\partial h_{m}}\frac{\partial f(h_{1},...,h_{n})}{\partial x_{m}}\overset{\underbrace{chain\ rule}}{=}\frac{\partial}{\partial h_{m}} \sum_{l=1}^{n} \frac{\partial f(h_{1},...,h_{n})}{\partial h_{l}}\frac{\partial h_{l}}{\partial x_{k}}[/itex]

And why? Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure this won't work.

I don't think the middle bit is well-defined. Partial derivatives operate on a functional form, not on a value. In this problem ##f## is given as a function of the ##h_i##, so the partial derivatives ##\frac{\partial f(h_{1},...,h_{n})}{\partial h_i}## are well-defined. But if you want to take partial derivatives of ##f## with respect to an ##x_k## you need to change the functional form of ##f## and it will become a new function ##g##. The most natural interpretation is to replace each ##h_i## by its expression in terms of the ##x_j##s. But when you've done that you no longer have any ##h_i##s in the functional form, which is ##\frac{\partial g(x_{1},...,x_{n})}{\partial x_k}##, so ##\frac{\partial}{\partial h_i}## will be zero.

In some cases you might be able to turn the ##x_j##s back into ##h_i##s, and then do the, ##\frac{\partial}{\partial h_i}##, but to do that you'd need there to be a bijection between ##x_1,...,x_n## and ##h_1,...,h_n## and in general there won't be.

Even if there is a bijection, the sought equality may not hold or be meaningless.

eg consider the case ##f=h_1h_2## where ##h_1=x_1+x_2, h_2=x_1-x_2##. Then the LHS of your equation is ##\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x_1 \partial h_1}=1##. To calculate the middle bit, we first express ##f## in terms of the ##x##s as ##f(h_1,h_2)=g(x_1,x_2)=(x_1+x_2)(x_1-x_2)=x_1^2-x_2^2##. Then ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_1}## is ##2x_1##. How are we now going to take a partial derivative of this with respect to ##h_1##? We could write ##2x_1=2(h_1 -y)##, in which case the answer is 2, or we could write ##2x_1=2(h_2+y)## in which case the answer is zero. So there is not a unique answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook