Solving Second Order Partial Derivative By Changing Variable

In summary, the given second order partial differential equation can be solved with a change of variables, specifically ##t = x## and ##z = x-y##. By using the chain rule and Schwartz theorem, you can change the order of mixed derivatives, allowing for a solution in terms of the new independent variables.
Peter Alexander
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
Given is a second order partial differential equation $$u_{xx} + 2u_{xy} + u_{yy}=0$$ which should be solved with change of variables, namely ##t = x## and ##z = x-y##.

Homework Equations

Chain rule $$\frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{dz}{dy} \cdot \frac{dy}{dx}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to make the first change of variables $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \cdot \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \cdot \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = u_t + u_z$$ but I'm stuck at making the second change of variables (for second derivative). If I attempt repeating the same process I end up with $$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \cdot \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \cdot \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}$$I don't think that I can write something like ##u_{tx}##?

I think this task is easy to solve, I'm apparently just missing something, Can somebody please help me? I don't expect anyone to solve homework tasks instead of me, I just need some guidance.

PS: Hope you're having a wonderful Tuesday!

Physics news on Phys.org
Under certain conditions, i.e. if the second derivatives of ##u## are continuous, you can according to Schwartz theorem change the order of the mixed derivatives. E.g, $$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t \partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x})$$.

Likes Peter Alexander
eys_physics said:
Under certain conditions, i.e. if the second derivatives of ##u## are continuous, you can according to Schwartz theorem change the order of the mixed derivatives. E.g, $$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t \partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x})$$.
This is true when you are taking second derivatives with respect to independent variables - in the case of this problem t and z or x and y. It is not generally true when you make coordinate changes!

Likes Peter Alexander and eys_physics
Peter Alexander said:
Given is a second order partial differential equation $$u_{xx} + 2u_{xy} + u_{yy}=0$$ which should be solved with change of variables, namely ##t = x## and ##z = x-y##.

Homework Equations

I was able to make the first change of variables $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \cdot \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \cdot \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = u_t + u_z$$ but I'm stuck at making the second change of variables (for second derivative). If I attempt repeating the same process I end up with $$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \cdot \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \cdot \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}$$I don't think that I can write something like ##u_{tx}##?

I think this task is easy to solve, I'm apparently just missing something, Can somebody please help me? I don't expect anyone to solve homework tasks instead of me, I just need some guidance.

Your expression for the partial derivative of u with respect to x is true for any function u. In particular, it is true if you replace u by ##u_t##.

Likes Peter Alexander
Peter Alexander said:

Homework Equations

If you introduce the operators ##D_x = \partial / \partial x## and ##D_y = \partial / \partial y## your pde is ##(D_x+D_y)^2 u =0##. Thus, if ##v = (D_x + D_y) u## we have ##(D_x + D_y) v = 0, ## whose general solution is ##v = f(x-y)## for some differentiable univariate function ##f(\cdot)##. The pde becomes ##(D_x+D_y)u(x,y) = f(x-y)##. I think this new pde is fairly straightforward to solve, in terms of the new independent variables ##x-y## and ##x+y##.

Likes Peter Alexander
I apologize for the late response, did read through the post and managed to finally solve the task. I would like to thank everyone here for helping me out on that one, I appreciate your time and effort! Really helped me a lot!

Hope you're all having a fantastic Friday ;)

What is a second order partial derivative?

A second order partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to two variables. It is the second derivative of a multivariable function, meaning it measures how the slope of the function changes as both variables are varied.

Why do we need to solve second order partial derivatives by changing variables?

Solving second order partial derivatives by changing variables allows us to simplify complex functions and make them easier to analyze. It also helps us find critical points and extrema, which can be useful in optimization problems.

What is the process for solving a second order partial derivative by changing variables?

The process involves substituting a new variable for one of the existing variables in the original function, and then using the chain rule to find the new partial derivatives with respect to the new variable. These new partial derivatives can then be substituted back into the original function to simplify it and solve for the desired derivative.

What are some common variables used when solving second order partial derivatives?

Some common variables used when solving second order partial derivatives include u, v, and t. These variables are often chosen based on the structure of the original function and the simplifications they can provide.

Can we always solve a second order partial derivative by changing variables?

No, not all functions can be simplified by changing variables. It depends on the complexity and structure of the original function. In some cases, using multiple changes of variables may be necessary to solve the second order partial derivative.