Why is the quadratic formula giving me the wrong answers for 4x^2+10x=5?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
Amaz1ng
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
But seriously, why am I getting the wrong answer here:

[tex] 4x^2+10x= 5[/tex]

[tex]4x^2+10x - 5 = 0[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{-10+\sqrt{180}}{8}[/tex]
Answers Incorrect:

3.461 and -23
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try it again. Your setup is right (although remember that + can also be a -)
 
My friend, I have no clue why I'm getting the wrong answers. O_o

I was under the impression that you just plug the numbers in and it outputs correct answers.
 
Learn how to use your calculator :P

I mean think about it, the square root of 180 is about 13, so the numerator ~13 - 10, which is about 3, then you're going to divide by 8. So neither of your answers make sense obviously.
 
My calculator says

[tex]-10 + \sqrt{180} = 3.416[/tex]

So, you have two problems:
1. 3.461 is a typo
2. you forgot to divide by 8.
 
If you use ALL of the operations you listed, then you'll get the correct answers.

You're off by a factor of about 8. :smile:
 
[tex]\frac{{ - 10 \pm \sqrt {180} }}{8} = - \frac{{10}}{8} \pm \sqrt {\frac{{180}}{{64}}} = - 1.25 \pm \sqrt {2.8125} = - 1.25 \pm 1.677[/tex]