Find the Solutions of a Quadratic Equation Using the Quadratic Formula

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date
In summary, the solutions of the quadratic equation $x^2+4x-8=0$ are $1.46$ and $-2-2\sqrt{3}$, which can be derived using the quadratic formula.
mathlearn
By completing the square or by any other method , find the solutions of the quadratic equation , to two decimal places $x^2+4x-8=0$.

Using the quadratic formula,(Smile)

$x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$.

$x=\frac{-4\pm\sqrt{16+32}}{2}$.

$x=\frac{-4\pm\sqrt{48}}{2}$.

$x=\frac{-4\pm\sqrt{3}\sqrt{16}}{2}$.

$x=\frac{-4\pm 4\sqrt{3}}{2}$.

$x={-2\pm 2\sqrt{3}}$.

$x= 1.46$.

As the problem states there is another value for x which is -5.46, How to derive it using the quadratic formula ? (Happy)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathlearn said:
By completing the square or by any other method , find the solutions of the quadratic equation , to two decimal places $x^2+4x-8=0$.

Using the quadratic formula,(Smile)

$x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$.

$x=\frac{-4\pm\sqrt{16+32}}{2}$.

$x=\frac{-4\pm\sqrt{48}}{2}$.

$x=\frac{-4\pm\sqrt{3}\sqrt{16}}{2}$.

$x=\frac{-4\pm 4\sqrt{3}}{2}$.

$x={-2\pm 2\sqrt{3}}$.

$x= 1.46$.

As the problem states there is another value for x which is -5.46, How to derive it using the quadratic formula ? (Happy)
$x={-2\pm 2\sqrt{3}}$.

$x= 1.46$.

You have another solution: \(\displaystyle -2 - 2 \sqrt{3}\)

-Dan

topsquark said:
You have another solution: \(\displaystyle -2 - 2 \sqrt{2}\)

-Dan

(Happy) Thank you top squark

(Nod) A typing mistake I guess, \(\displaystyle -2 - 2 \sqrt{3}\) , I guess it should be . Correct ? (Thinking)

Last edited:
mathlearn said:
(Happy) Thank you top squark

(Nod) A typing mistake I guess, \(\displaystyle -2 - 2 \sqrt{3}\) , I guess it should be . Correct ? (Thinking)
Yes. Thanks for the catch!

-Dan

1. What is the process for finding the solutions of X?

The process for finding the solutions of X depends on the specific equation or problem given. In general, you would need to isolate the variable X on one side of the equation and simplify the other side. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I know if I have found all possible solutions of X?

If you are solving a linear equation, you can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation. If it satisfies the equation, then you have found the correct solution. For other types of equations, it may be helpful to graph the equation and see if your solution(s) intersect with the graph at all.

3. Can X have more than one solution?

Yes, X can have more than one solution. This typically occurs when solving equations with multiple variables or equations that involve exponents, radicals, or absolute values. It is important to check your answer(s) to ensure that you have found all possible solutions.

4. What if I cannot solve for X?

If you are unable to solve for X, it could mean that the equation has no solution or that it is not possible to isolate X. In some cases, you may need to use more advanced mathematical techniques or consult a math expert for assistance.

5. Is there a shortcut for finding the solutions of X?

There is no one-size-fits-all shortcut for finding the solutions of X. However, there are certain techniques and tips that can help make the process more efficient. These include factoring, using the quadratic formula, and understanding common algebraic patterns. Practice and familiarity with different types of equations will also make the process easier over time.