Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why is the s state spherically symmetric?

1. Sep 8, 2016 #1

KFC

Hi there,
    I am reading something about quantum numbers, there the author introduce the quantum number by solving Schrodinger equation for Hydrogen atom. It gives me an example when the principal quantum number n=4, there are four different sub-level ##s, p, d, f##. It also depicts the sublevel for them. It is said that for s state which ##\ell=0##, the shape is something like a completely flattened ellipse going through the nucleus. But since ##\ell=0##, there is no angular momentum, the electron is not "orbiting" anything; hence, it must be totally radially so s state is spherically symmetric.

It is quite confusing for me. Since it is said at the beginning it is flatten ellipse but later becomes spherically symmetric.

reference: http://web.pdx.edu/~pmoeck/lectures/312/chapter 7 part 3.doc
    page 3 and page 8

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2016 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Where does your reference say that?
    Right. s orbitals are spherically symmetric.

4. Sep 8, 2016 #3

KFC

Sorry that I give the wrong reference. I just get it corrected. And in the document given by the link, in page 3, note below the caption of FIGURE 7.3, it is said that "for l=0 we have a completely flattened ellipse that goes through the nucleus, this will be later called an s state."

5. Sep 8, 2016 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Those elliptical orbits are remnants of the Bohr-Sommerfeld model of the atom. (Old stuff!) Note the diagram on page 20 of your reference, which shows the s orbitals as spherical.

6. Sep 8, 2016 #5

KFC

Thanks a lot.

7. Sep 9, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

According to my prejudices, I always warn against physics manuscripts written with Word. This one cements my prejudice. SCNR.

8. Sep 10, 2016 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

Classically, an orbit with l=0 corresponds to the electron falling straight on or through the nucleus. Quantum mechanically, the orientation of this line becomes completely undetermined.

9. Sep 10, 2016 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Quantum mechanically ##l=0## means that your wave function and thus the probability distribution for the particle's position (and momentum) is spherically symmetric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted