Why is the summation in the first part from k=0 to n-1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 4K views
VikramAhuja
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
∫(4−7x)dx ====> Integral is from 1 to 8

Similar question but for some reason I can't get the answer after following all the steps
 
Physics news on Phys.org
VikramAhuja said:
∫(4−7x)dx ====> Integral is from 1 to 8

Similar question but for some reason I can't get the answer after following all the steps

I have moved your post to its own thread so that the other thread does not become convoluted.

Using a similar argument in my first post of the other thread, we can apply some simple geometry to see that the result should be:

$$I=\int_1^8 4-7x\,dx=-\left(3\cdot7 + \frac{1}{2}7\cdot49\right)=-\frac{385}{2}$$

Now, in setting up the left-hand sum, we may begin with:

$$I_n=\frac{7}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\left(4-7\left(1+k\left(\frac{7}{n}\right)\right)\right)$$

Are you with me so far?
 
Yes I've got to (7/n^2)((43n^2-49n)/2)

Apparently it is wrong
 
Okay, my next step would be:

$$I_n=-\frac{7}{n^2}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\left(3n+49k\right)$$

And next, I would write:

$$I_n=-\frac{7}{n^2}\left(3n\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(1)+49\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(k)\right)$$

Using summation formulas, there results:

$$I_n=-\frac{7}{n^2}\left(3n^2+49\frac{n(n-1)}{2}\right)$$

Now, factor out a $$\frac{n}{2}$$, distribute and combine like terms. What do you find?
 
Nevermind I got it but now with lower sums?
 
Last edited:
VikramAhuja said:
Would the answer be (-7(55*n-49))/(2*n)

Yes, I also get:

$$I_n=-\frac{7(55n-49)}{2n}$$

VikramAhuja said:
How'd you get this? (-7/n^2) ?

We initially had $$-\frac{7}{n}$$ in front of the sum as a factor, and then I factored out $$\frac{1}{n}$$ and then after combining terms, the summand became $3n+49k$.
 
VikramAhuja said:
Nevermind I got it but now with lower sums?

Can you show what you think the sum should initially be?
 
The right-hand sum will simply be:

$$I_n=\frac{7}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(4-7\left(1+k\left(\frac{7}{n}\right)\right)\right)$$
 
One last question. Why is the summition in the first part sum_{n-1}^{k=0}
 
VikramAhuja said:
One last question. Why is the summition in the first part sum_{n-1}^{k=0}

In the left-hand sum, the height of each rectangle is taken to be the integrand's value on the left side of each regular partition, so the index of summation needs to go from $k=0$ to $k=n-1$.

Table.jpg