Why Is the Tension in the Rope Not Matching the Book's Calculation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Gear2d
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




I have a 12kg block that is raised by a rope. If the velocity of the mass is decreasing at a rate of 5 m/s^2, what is tension in the rope?

Homework Equations



T=mg
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution



My solution: T = mg+ ma = 180N

Book solution: T+ma = mg => 60N

I am confused as why you are subtracting here. I see that acceleration is in the downward direction (as stated by the question stem), but the object is still been raised. So shouldn't it be T = mg+ ma? Because to me, T+ma =mg looks like that acceleration of the mass is the upward direction (if that were the case the object would be increasing it speed not decreasing),
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gear2d,

Gear2d said:

Homework Statement




I have a 12kg block that is raised by a rope. If the velocity of the mass is decreasing at a rate of 5 m/s^2, what is tension in the rope?

Homework Equations



T=mg

This equation is not true.

F=ma

I think you might need to be a bit more careful with this equation. This equation should be either:

[tex] \sum \vec F = m \vec a \mbox{ or } \vec F_{\rm net} = m\vec a[/tex]

and when you actually use it here, for example in the [itex]y[/itex] direction, you get:

[tex] \begin{align}<br /> \sum F_y = m a_y\nonumber\\<br /> F_{1y}+F_{2y} = m a_y\nonumber<br /> \end{align}[/tex]

since there are two forces. So what are the [itex]y[/itex]-components, including sign, of the tension and weight forces? And what is the [itex]y[/itex]-component of the acceleration? Those, with the correct sign, are what go into the force equation.

The Attempt at a Solution



My solution: T = mg+ ma = 180N

Book solution: T+ma = mg => 60N

I am confused as why you are subtracting here. I see that acceleration is in the downward direction (as stated by the question stem), but the object is still been raised. So shouldn't it be T = mg+ ma? Because to me, T+ma =mg looks like that acceleration of the mass is the upward direction (if that were the case the object would be increasing it speed not decreasing),