Why is the universal gas constant a constant?

In summary, the ideal gas law is a combination of Boyle's, Charles', and Gay-Lussac's laws and states that for a fixed amount of an ideal gas, the product of pressure and volume is proportional to the temperature. The gas constant, denoted as R, is a constant that remains the same regardless of changes in pressure, volume, or temperature. The individual laws may not be as useful on their own, but when combined into the ideal gas law, they allow for practical applications in understanding the behavior of gases.
opus
Gold Member
The ideal gas law is given as ##PV=nRT## where ##R## is said to be the universal gas constant equal to ##0.082056\frac{L⋅atm}{mol⋅K}##. ##R## is said to be a constant, and thus cannot change even if we change the values of ##P,V,n,T##.
I don't see how this is possible, because the way we found ##R## to begin with is to take certain values of ##P,V,n,T## and then solve for ##R##. So it seems like if we were to change any of them, ##R## would need to change as well.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
opus said:
The ideal gas law is given as ##PV=nRT## where ##R## is said to be the universal gas constant equal to ##0.082056\frac{L⋅atm}{mol⋅K}##. ##R## is said to be a constant, and thus cannot change even if we change the values of ##P,V,n,T##.
I don't see how this is possible, because the way we found ##R## to begin with is to take certain values of ##P,V,n,T## and then solve for ##R##. So it seems like if we were to change any of them, ##R## would need to change as well.

The point is that you can't change just one of P,V,n,T without one of the others changing. Suppose I take a fixed quantity of gas in a container of fixed size, for example. If I heat it up to change T, P will change as well by the same fraction. So if you take some other set of P,V,n,T and solve for R, you will always get the same R. This is what the ideal gas law says, and it is true to a high degree of accuracy in most circumstances.

Likes opus
Boyle's law says that for a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, pressure and volume are inversely proportional.
Charles' law says that for a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed pressure, temperature and volume are directly proportional.
These are experimental observations. You put them together to get the ideal gas law that for a fixed amount of an ideal gas the product of pressure and volume are proportional to the temperature. This means you can write pV = C T, where C is the constant of proportionality that contains the fixed amount of gas. If you express this amount of gas as number of molecules N, then C = Nk, where k is the Boltzmann constant. If you express this amount of gas as number of moles n, then C = nR, where R is the gas constant.

Likes opus
phyzguy said:
without one of the others changing
Ohh ok. That was a key part I missed. So then if we change one, there will be a corresponding change in the others so that ##R## remains the same no matter what we change? So for example, according to Charle's Law, at a constant pressure, temperature and volume are directly proportional. So if I increase the temperature, the volume will increase proportionally and as such, ##R## would remain the same?

kuruman said:
Boyle's law says that for a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, pressure and volume are inversely proportional.
Charles' law says that for a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed pressure, temperature and volume are directly proportional.
These are experimental observations. You put them together to get the ideal gas law that for a fixed amount of an ideal gas the product of pressure and volume are proportional to the temperature. This means you can write pV = C T, where C is the constant of proportionality that contains the fixed amount of gas. If you express this amount of gas as number of molecules N, then C = Nk, where k is the Boltzmann constant. If you express this amount of gas as number of moles n, then C = nR, where R is the gas constant.
Ok that makes more sense too in knowing that the Ideal Gas Law is a combination of those. I was confused at seeing things like "at a constant pressure" for Charle's Law because I couldn't imagine how you could increase the temperature without affecting the pressure. So then, are the individual laws such as Charles', Boyle's, Gay-Lussac's not very useful, but when combined into the Ideal Gas Law, then we can start to do something useful?

opus said:
Ok that makes more sense too in knowing that the Ideal Gas Law is a combination of those. I was confused at seeing things like "at a constant pressure" for Charle's Law because I couldn't imagine how you could increase the temperature without affecting the pressure. So then, are the individual laws such as Charles', Boyle's, Gay-Lussac's not very useful, but when combined into the Ideal Gas Law, then we can start to do something useful?
Yes.

Likes opus
kuruman said:
Yes.
Thanks!

opus said:
I was confused at seeing things like "at a constant pressure" for Charle's Law because I couldn't imagine how you could increase the temperature without affecting the pressure.

If you work with a syringe and you don't block the piston movement you can safely assume the pressure inside is always identical to the pressure outside. As long as the pressure outside doesn't change (which is true if you do the experiment reasonably fast) you work at a "constant pressure", no matter if you heat or cool the gas inside the syringe.

Likes opus
Borek said:
If you work with a syringe and you don't block the piston movement you can safely assume the pressure inside is always identical to the pressure outside. As long as the pressure outside doesn't change (which is true if you do the experiment reasonably fast) you work at a "constant pressure", no matter if you heat or cool the gas inside the syringe.
Cool! That makes sense. I don't have to take the Chem lab so I haven't had any experimental experiences like that. Kind of a bummer!

1. Why is the universal gas constant a constant?

The universal gas constant, denoted as R, is a fundamental constant in physics and chemistry. It represents the relationship between the physical properties of a gas, such as its pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. It is considered a constant because it remains the same for all gases and under a wide range of conditions.

2. How is the universal gas constant calculated?

The value of the universal gas constant can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, and T is temperature. R is then equal to the product of P, V, and n divided by T. The value of R depends on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature. For example, if pressure is measured in atmospheres, volume in liters, and temperature in Kelvin, R is equal to 0.0821 L⋅atm/mol⋅K.

3. Why is the universal gas constant considered a universal constant?

The universal gas constant is considered a universal constant because it applies to all gases, regardless of their chemical composition or physical properties. This means that it remains the same for all gases, whether they are monatomic, diatomic, or polyatomic. It also remains the same under different conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or volume.

4. What are the units of the universal gas constant?

The units of the universal gas constant, R, depend on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature in the ideal gas law equation. In SI units, it is expressed as joules per mole-kelvin (J/mol⋅K). In other systems of measurement, it may be expressed as liter-atmospheres per mole-kelvin (L⋅atm/mol⋅K) or calories per mole-kelvin (cal/mol⋅K).

5. Why is the value of the universal gas constant not a whole number?

The value of the universal gas constant is not a whole number because it is derived from the ideal gas law, which is based on the behavior of an ideal gas. In reality, no gas is truly ideal, and therefore, the value of R is an approximation. Additionally, the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature in the ideal gas law equation also contribute to the decimal value of R.