Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the Universe electrically neutral?

1. Jul 5, 2012 #1
    That's a conundrum that I've seen posed -- certain people have claimed that it's very improbable.

But here is what I think is a plausible solution. If the Universe originated from a quantum fluctuation or something similar, it would have to have originated as a gauge singlet. Being a gauge singlet means having zero electric charge, thus implying that the Universe is electrically neutral.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Which changes to the question of why it has to be a gauge singlet of course. Discovery that the Universe is not electrically neutral would mean that the gauge-singlet idea of the creation of matter is wrong and we'd have to come up with something else. So - is this a strong argument?

"Certain people" would be the "Electric Universe" and "Plasma Cosmology" crowd?

Some discussions into why it is likely that the Universe is electrically neutral:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=215189

The question of how it came to be that the Universe is charge-neutral on the large scale is quite deep ... a simple look:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/wcep.html
    ... gives some of the idea.

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3
    In post #39 that thread, xantox proposed that the Universe is electrically neutral (total charge = 0) because of gauge symmetry.

I think that that's another version of the gauge-singlet idea.

That's because one can always find a gauge-symmetry operator that can transform one member into another of an irreducible-representation gauge multiplet. Only for a singlet is there only one member to choose from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook