ehrenfest Messages 2,001 Reaction score 1 Thread starter Dec 7, 2007 #1 Homework Statement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern-Gerlach In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, is there a reason why the upper magnet is wedge-shaped and not flat? Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution
Homework Statement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern-Gerlach In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, is there a reason why the upper magnet is wedge-shaped and not flat? Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution
ehrenfest Messages 2,001 Reaction score 1 Dec 7, 2007 #2 OK. Maybe that is a silly question. Now that I think about it, the wedge-shape of the upper magnet is the entire point of the experiment because it creates the inhomogenous magnetic field.
OK. Maybe that is a silly question. Now that I think about it, the wedge-shape of the upper magnet is the entire point of the experiment because it creates the inhomogenous magnetic field.
HallsofIvy Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 42,895 Reaction score 983 Dec 7, 2007 #4 But why, exactly, was it posted under "Calculus" rather than physics?
Doc Al Mentor Messages 45,589 Reaction score 2,481 Dec 7, 2007 #5 Good point! I didn't even notice that. (I'll move it.)