Why is the use of tert-butyl methyl ether favoured over using diethyl ether?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MagicalM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ether
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
MagicalM
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Why is the use of tert-butyl methyl ether favoured over using diethyl ether?

Homework Equations


No equations needed

The Attempt at a Solution


After the formation of trans-stilbene, tert-butyl methyl ether was used to dissolve trans-stilbene. Water was added to dissolve any impurities which was absorbed by calcium chloride pellets along with the impurities. I guess the reason why tert-butyl ether was used is due to the bulkiness of the substituents in comparison to diethyl ether, but I don't know what that would do in comparison. Why was tert-butyl ether used as opposed to diethyl ether? It is not due to safety or cost concerns is what I do know. However, I don't know what the answer is or how to find it. Please help. Much appreciated. :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org