1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the use of tert-butyl methyl ether favoured over using diethyl ether?

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is the use of tert-butyl methyl ether favoured over using diethyl ether?

2. Relevant equations
    No equations needed

3. The attempt at a solution
    After the formation of trans-stilbene, tert-butyl methyl ether was used to dissolve trans-stilbene. Water was added to dissolve any impurities which was absorbed by calcium chloride pellets along with the impurities. I guess the reason why tert-butyl ether was used is due to the bulkiness of the substituents in comparison to diethyl ether, but I don't know what that would do in comparison. Why was tert-butyl ether used as opposed to diethyl ether? It is not due to safety or cost concerns is what I do know. However, I don't know what the answer is or how to find it. Please help. Much appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook