Why is the world producing so much food?

• Thread starter AtomicJoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, climate change theory says that food supplies are being hit by the change in climate however year on year the world food production continues to grow at a healthy rate. However, some people believe that the effect of climate change on food production is exaggerated, and that there is more food than ever available. Prices for food seem high when compared to past years, but it's difficult to say whether or not there is a true food shortage.
AtomicJoe
According to 'climate change theory' fod supplies are being hit by the change in climate however year on year the world food production continues to grow at a healthy rate.

Does anyone here believe climate change has or will effect food production?

If so can you produce some evidence to back up your claims?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
AtomicJoe said:
According to 'climate change theory' fod supplies are being hit by the change in climate however year on year the world food production continues to grow at a healthy rate.
How do you define healthy rate? Enough to feed the planet?

There are millions of people starving. Some of this might be distribution but some of it is a lack of food available.

DaveC426913 said:
How do you define healthy rate? Enough to feed the planet?

There are millions of people starving. Some of this might be distribution but some of it is a lack of food available.

Well I mean more food than we used to.

There is not food per capita than ever yet some are making out there is a shortage.

Also why are prices so how when we have more food per capita than ever in mans history?

There's more than enough food produced to feed the planet. All starvation on a large scale in the modern age is politically caused.

but how can the press (newspaper TV news etc) get away with the lie that climate change is effecting the world food supply when all the evidence says otherwise?
They pick one drought or bit of bad weather and make out that it is cause by global warming when in reality droughts and bad weather are a normal part of our climate.
They are even recorded in the Old Testament! I guess the donkeys and asses were producing too much CO2.
I mean I hear this stuff from the so called experts.

(PS I can produce plenty of evidence to show a health growth in the food supply despite 'climate change'.

Antiphon said:
There's more than enough food produced to feed the planet. All starvation on a large scale in the modern age is politically caused.
So what is happening to all this food that is not being eaten? Is it just rotting?

AtomicJoe said:
but how can the press (newspaper TV news etc) get away with the lie that climate change is effecting the world food supply when all the evidence says otherwise?
They pick one drought or bit of bad weather and make out that it is cause by global warming when in reality droughts and bad weather are a normal part of our climate.
They are even recorded in the Old Testament! I guess the donkeys and asses were producing too much CO2.
I mean I hear this stuff from the so called experts.

(PS I can produce plenty of evidence to show a health growth in the food supply despite 'climate change'.
But have you made your case? For example, who says that the two claims are mutally exclusive?
Perhaps there is healthy growth, yet climate change is dramatically affecting the production of food.

Does 'healthy growth' mean all the time, everywhere, feeding everyone? Does the affect on climate mean all the itme everyhere affecting everyone?

You can't boldly claim they're lying until you address exactly what they're claiming. What exactly are they claiming? You can't expect any answers from us until you quote the claim instead of a vague generalization by "the media" without context or specifics.

Climate change discussion - particularly unsourced discussion - is not allowed here.

1. Why is there so much food being produced in the world?

There are a few reasons for the high levels of food production in the world. One major factor is advancements in agricultural technology, such as genetically modified crops and improved irrigation systems, which have increased crop yields. Additionally, global trade and transportation have made it easier for food to be grown and transported to different regions, increasing food availability. Lastly, government policies and subsidies also play a role in encouraging farmers to produce more food.

2. Is all of this food being produced being evenly distributed?

No, unfortunately, there are still significant disparities in food distribution around the world. Some regions, particularly developing countries, may struggle with food scarcity and lack of access to nutritious food, while other regions may have an abundance of food. This can be due to various factors such as poverty, political instability, and inadequate infrastructure for food distribution.

3. Does producing more food mean we are solving world hunger?

Not necessarily. While producing more food is important, it is not the only solution to solving world hunger. It is estimated that one-third of the food produced in the world is wasted, and there are also issues with food access and distribution. Additionally, poverty, conflicts, and other socio-economic factors also contribute to food insecurity and hunger.

4. What are the potential consequences of producing too much food?

Producing too much food can have negative consequences on the environment. The use of intensive agricultural practices, such as heavy use of fertilizers and pesticides, can lead to soil degradation, water pollution, and loss of biodiversity. Additionally, food waste also contributes to greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. Furthermore, the overproduction of certain crops can also lead to market saturation and lower prices for farmers.

5. How can we ensure sustainable food production in the world?

To ensure sustainable food production, it is crucial to balance agricultural practices with environmental conservation. This can include promoting organic farming, reducing food waste, and implementing sustainable land management practices. Governments and international organizations can also play a role in promoting policies and initiatives that support sustainable food production and distribution. Additionally, consumer behavior and choices can also have an impact, such as supporting local and sustainable food systems.