Why is this 3D operator with degeneracies only giving me 2 eigenstates

In summary, the matrix representation of a certain operator in a certain basis has eigenvalues of 1, 1, and -1. The non-degenerate eigenstate is [0, i, 1], while the degenerate one is [a, -ic, c]. This means there are two distinct states with the same eigenvalue, and the second vector can be chosen by enforcing orthogonality. The degenerate state corresponds to a two-dimensional subspace.
struggling_student
The matrix representation of a certain operator in a certain basis is

$$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -i \\ 0 & i & 0
\end{bmatrix} .$$

The eigenvalue problem leads to this equation

$$0=det\begin{bmatrix} 1-\lambda & 0 & 0 \\0 & -\lambda & -i \\ 0 & i & -\lambda
\end{bmatrix} =-(\lambda-1)^2(\lambda+1).$$

So the eigenvalues are ##1##, ##1## and ##-1##. There is a degenacy and this means that there are two distinct states with the same eigenvalue but I would like to find all the eigenstates, generically denoted as ##\begin{bmatrix} a \\b \\ c \end{bmatrix}##.

First, the non-degenerate ##\lambda=-1## leads to the following equation

$$0=\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1 & -i \\ 0 & i & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} a \\b \\ c \end{bmatrix},$$

$$\therefore 2a=0 \ and \ b=ic.$$

So the nondegenerate eigenstate is ##\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ic \\ c \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\i \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}## because without the loss of generality we can set ##c:=1##.

Now, for the degerate ##\lambda=1## the equation is

$$0=\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & -1 & -i \\ 0 & i & -1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} a \\b \\ c \end{bmatrix},$$

##\therefore b=-ic##, any value for ##a## will do so the degerate state is ##\begin{bmatrix} a \\-ic \\ c \end{bmatrix}##. How do I interpret this?

I expected to find two different vectors but instead I've got a two-parameter result. What is the degerate state? Is what I wrote not a valid operator? Am I mistaken in thinking that a degerate eigenvalue corresponds to exactly two distinct eigenstates?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you put in two different values for ##a## you get two linearly independent vectors.

Likes vanhees71 and struggling_student
Your result makes sense. The eigenvector calculation needs to give you all the vectors in the subspace (two dimensional here) with the degenerate eigenvalue. However, if you want to have a set of orthogonal vectors, then after you pick the first value of ##a## you determine the second vector by enforcing orthogonality.

Likes vanhees71 and struggling_student

What does it mean for a 3D operator to have degeneracies?

Degeneracies in a 3D operator refer to multiple eigenvalues with the same energy level. This means that there are multiple possible states that the system can be in with the same energy.

Why is it important to consider degeneracies in a 3D operator?

Degeneracies in a 3D operator can significantly affect the behavior and properties of a system. They can lead to unexpected results and make it more difficult to accurately predict the behavior of the system.

Why am I only getting 2 eigenstates from a 3D operator with degeneracies?

This could be due to the limitations of the chosen method or approach used to solve for the eigenstates. It is also possible that the degeneracies are not being properly accounted for in the calculations.

How can I accurately determine the number of eigenstates in a 3D operator with degeneracies?

In order to accurately determine the number of eigenstates, it is important to consider the degeneracies and use appropriate mathematical methods to account for them. This may involve using group theory or other techniques to properly identify and calculate the eigenstates.

What can I do if the degeneracies in a 3D operator are causing issues in my calculations?

If the degeneracies are causing issues in your calculations, it may be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field for guidance. Additionally, exploring different mathematical methods or approaches may help to better account for the degeneracies and obtain more accurate results.