Why is this incorrect? (Two-dimensional motion problem)

• Thread starter frankfjf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the watermelon seed has the following coordinates: x = -7.2 m, y = 1.4 m, and z = 0 m. Its position vector is (a) a magnitude and (b) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis. If the seed is moved to the xyz coordinates (5.9 m, 0 m, 0 m), its displacement is (c) a magnitude and (d) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis. The components of the displacement are as listed for the first two parts, but for the latter two parts, the x component is 13.1 and the y component is -1.4.
frankfjf
Alright, here's the problem I need help with:

A watermelon seed has the following coordinates: x = -7.2 m, y = 1.4 m, and z = 0 m. Find its position vector as (a) a magnitude and (b) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis. If the seed is moved to the xyz coordinates (5.9 m, 0 m, 0 m), what is its displacement as (c) a magnitude and (d) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis?

Parts a through c I've solved and have correct, but my answer to d is being rejected. I don't understand why.

For a I got 7.3m.

For b I got 169 degrees.

For c I got 13.2m.

However, for d I get 174 degrees, but that's wrong. I used the same proceedure for part b and got that right though! Could someone explain why please?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the x & y components of the displacement?

For the first two parts, the components are of course as listed.

For the latter two parts, I obtain 13.1 for the x component, and -1.4 for the y component.

frankfjf said:
I obtain 13.1 for the x component, and -1.4 for the y component.
Good. So how did you get your answer of 174 degrees?

I take the inverse tangent of -1.4/13.1.

Then I add 180 to it since it satisfied the first answer. Though admittedly I'm not sure why this is so. I originally thought adding 90 degrees to both would suffice, since isn't the first quadrant in the positive x axis?

Rather than try to apply some memorized rule, just draw yourself a picture. Identify the triangle involved, find its angle (using inverse tangent), and then translate the answer to an angle with respect to the +x axis. That way you'll be sure of your answer.

Ah-ha! I see what you mean. The first one needed to be adjusted to get there, but the second one doesn't, so I left it at -6.1 degrees and that was correct.

Now you're thinking. :approve:

1. Why is this particular solution incorrect?

This solution is incorrect because it does not take into account the concept of two-dimensional motion. In two-dimensional motion, an object moves in both the x and y directions simultaneously, and its displacement and velocity in each direction must be considered separately.

2. How can I tell if my solution to a two-dimensional motion problem is incorrect?

If your solution only considers one dimension and does not include the x and y components of displacement and velocity, it is likely incorrect. Additionally, if your solution does not follow the principles of vector addition and subtraction, it may also be incorrect.

3. Why is it important to consider two-dimensional motion in problem-solving?

In real-world scenarios, objects often move in two dimensions. Neglecting to account for this in problem-solving can lead to inaccurate results and a misunderstanding of the actual motion of the object. Considering two-dimensional motion allows for a more comprehensive and accurate analysis of the situation.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving two-dimensional motion problems?

Some common mistakes include neglecting to consider both the x and y components of displacement and velocity, using the wrong signs for the components, and incorrectly applying the equations for acceleration and velocity in two dimensions. It is also important to be consistent with units and to use vector addition and subtraction correctly.

5. How can I improve my understanding of two-dimensional motion problems?

To improve your understanding, it is important to practice solving a variety of two-dimensional motion problems. You can also review the principles of vector addition and subtraction and make sure you understand how to apply them in two dimensions. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can be beneficial in clarifying any misconceptions or difficulties you may have.