Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is weak force short range action?

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    In Deep Down Things, an excellent book of B Schumm, at page 288, he explains that the weak force is short range because the Weak quanta have a large mass. Using de Broglie wavelength relation:
    Lamda = h / p, he gets a wavelength of 10 ** -18 m, and he concludes that this is the W quanta range of action. My understanding of de Broglie wavelength is that any object has a wavelength, and its span varies with the momentum. So, a baseball would have a very short wavelength, but nothing prevent us to throw the ball at many meters.

So, what prevents the W quanta to travel long distance? Or what do I miss interprete about de Broglie wavelength? Is the physics particle context different for de Broglie's equation?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

It's not the de Broglie wavelength that's involved here, it's the Compton wavelength. If he says de Broglie, he's wrong. The Compton wavelength ħ/mc does not depend on the momentum.

For a W meson one can calculate ħ/mc = ħc/mc2 = (200 MeV-f)/80 GeV ≈ between 10-15 and 10-16 cm.

4. Apr 24, 2013 #3
    He does refer to de Broglie, probably for simplification purpose. The book is a great intro to particle physics.
    I will read more on Compton wavelength. Ignorance is our worst enemy
    Thank you Bill for your time and quick response :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook