Why isn't Landau credited as an author in Vol 4?

• Thread starter Maurice7510
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Landau
In summary, the author's question is why Lev Landau did not write a book in the middle of his own series, despite being the overall designer and producer of the course. A possible answer is that he delegated this part to others who were considered more expert in the topic. Another possible answer is that Landau had suffered severe brain damage in an auto accident and was unable to continue practicing physics. It is also noted that the volumes in the series were not necessarily written in sequence and that Landau's death may have played a role in his exclusion from later volumes.
Maurice7510
I wasn't really sure where to post this, and while the answer might seem obvious (he simply didn't write it) it just seems odd. The title of the book is still Landau Lifshitz Course for Theoretical Physics, and its technically his series, but vol 4 (QED) is authored by Lifshitz, Pitaevskii and Berestetskii. Does anyone know why Landau failed to author a book in the middle of his own series?

Physics news on Phys.org
A possible answer is that although the overall course was designed and produced by him, this part of it he delegated to others who he considered to be most expert in that particular area.

rootone said:
A possible answer is that although the overall course was designed and produced by him, this part of it he delegated to others who he considered to be most expert in that particular area.
I never considered that, thanks

I think the answer is that by the time that volume was written, Landau had been in an auto accident that caused severe brain damage. He never really practiced physics again after the accident.

phyzguy said:
I think the answer is that by the time that volume was written, Landau had been in an auto accident that caused severe brain damage. He never really practiced physics again after the accident.
I considered that too; he died at some point, hence the exclusion from vol 9 and 10 which were published after his death. But he's included in vol 5-8 as well which is why I found it odd

The various volumes were not necessarily written in sequence.

Vanadium 50 said:
The various volumes were not necessarily written in sequence.
For some reason that never occurred to me; I just checked and it was published after his death

1. Why isn't Landau listed as an author in Vol 4?

Landau passed away before the publication of Vol 4, therefore he was not able to contribute to the writing of the book.

2. Was Landau's work not significant enough to be included as an author in Vol 4?

Landau's work was extremely significant and influential in the field of physics. However, due to his untimely death, he was unable to contribute to the writing of Vol 4 and therefore not listed as an author.

3. Did Landau not want to be credited as an author in Vol 4?

There is no evidence to suggest that Landau did not want to be credited as an author in Vol 4. In fact, he was listed as an author in the previous volumes of the series.

4. Was Landau's name intentionally left out as an author in Vol 4?

No, Landau's name was not intentionally left out. As mentioned before, his untimely death prevented him from contributing to the writing of Vol 4 and therefore he was not included as an author.

5. Will Landau ever be credited as an author in Vol 4 in the future?

It is unlikely that Landau will be credited as an author in Vol 4 in the future as the book has already been published. However, his contributions to the previous volumes and his significant work in the field of physics will always be recognized and remembered.