1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Lutetium & Lawrencium always been in f-orbital group?

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1
    It seems that for folks of my generation (Baby Boomer, Generation X), the canonical arrangement of the Periodic Table was for the f-orbital-filling elements to be in a separate section at the bottom. OK, I can see why this makes sense as otherwise the table would be really wide with a lot of empty space. But these 2 elements had always seemed to be included in this bottom section, which is OK for most of those elements, but not for these 2 as the f-orbital should be finished filling up.

Now, what I think happened is that once Lawrencium had been added, new elements became much more difficult to produce, and so rather than have a dangling Lw all by its lonesome, the table presenters simply lumped it and its eka-cousin Lu with the f-orbital sections and just figured that the elegance of the table at that time was worth having it be wrong.

I see that Wikipedia has a proper table, that seems to be at a very elegant arrangement, now that all the elements up to eka-Radon (Oganesson) have been named/added. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perio...periodic_table,_with_Lu_and_Lr_in_group_3.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Same approach is used with d block, isn't it?

Sure, the d block was never separated from the rest and put below (or at least I have never seen PT done this way), but when it sits in the middle it stands out together with the Zn, Cd and Hg, all having d10 configuration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted