Why must the second term on the right-hand side vanish in string theory?

In summary, the author states that the second term on the right-hand side of equation 6.52 must vanish due to the principle of least action, which states that the action's variation should be zero. This is because the first term on the RHS is already set to zero, and the second term follows from this and the principle of least action. The conversation also highlights the value of resources like Physics Forums for private studies in theoretical physics.
StenEdeback
Homework Statement
There is one statement in the text of the attached picture that I do not understand
Relevant Equations
See text below
I am doing private studies in string theory and am reading "A first course in string theory" by Barton Zwiebach. Below equation 6.52 the author
says "Since the second term on the right-hand side must vanish...". I do not understand why this term must vanish, and I would be grateful for an explanation.

Sten Edebäck

IMG_0026.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
The first term on the RHS should vanish because of the choice that boundary values of integration vanish, and the second term on the RHS is zero follows from this and ##\delta S=0##.

Likes StenEdeback
Thank you! A good explanation! Physics Forums is indeed a valuable last resort for me doing private studies, when I cannot find the answers to my questions by googling. Physics Forums is the equivalent of a supporting professor to me. And I feel a true joy when I overcome a hurdle and can go on with my studies. Theoretical Physics is really fun!

Likes Hamiltonian, Amrator, pinball1970 and 4 others

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It proposes that the building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings.

What is the purpose of string theory?

The purpose of string theory is to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) into one cohesive theory. It also aims to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

Is string theory proven?

No, string theory is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven through empirical evidence. However, it has shown promising mathematical consistency and has made predictions that align with experimental data.

What are the potential implications of string theory?

If string theory is proven to be an accurate description of the universe, it could have profound implications for our understanding of the cosmos and could potentially lead to new technologies and discoveries.

What are some challenges facing string theory?

Some of the challenges facing string theory include the lack of empirical evidence, the complexity of the mathematical equations, and the difficulty in testing the theory due to the extremely high energy levels required. There are also debates within the scientific community about the validity and usefulness of string theory.