Why PF restricts/prohibits/discourages dangerous activities

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, Kansas City area hospitals are treating at least 15 patients for firework-related injuries.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
In chemistry forum guidelines the text includes a statement concerning dangerous/illegal activities.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/illegal-danger
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

The prohibition on illegal activities should be self-evident and obvious.

Regarding dangerous activities, PF restricts, prohibits and otherwise discourages 'dangerous' activities. Case in point:

Boy, 12, burned over half his body in science experiment explosion​

https://www.kktv.com/2022/06/30/gra...r-half-his-body-science-experiment-explosion/

https://abc11.com/science-experiment-boy-burned-explosion-accident/12009112/

https://wpde.com/news/nation-world/...ion-kyle-caroline-barrett-mckim-bunsen-burner

He’s burned on about 50 percent of his body, and my understanding is that about 20% of those are third-degree and 30% are second-degree,” McKim said. “Fortunately, he was wearing protective glasses, which certainly helped, but he was wearing a synthetic shirt, which ended up being a real contributor in the fire staying and trying to get that off as it kind of melted away with the accelerant on there.”
The mother and son require several surgeries.
Caroline has already undergone one surgery and is scheduled for another this week. Barrett was in surgery for about four hours on Tuesday, McKim said, and likely has several others ahead.

Parental supervision may be insufficient, as noted in this incident, where the mother was badly burned as well.

Folks in industry and government laboratories receive training before engaging in potentially dangerous activities. Such activities require planning and implementation of procedures for handling hazardous materials. Proper attire is also required.

Even with training, accidents may occur due to lack of oversight, complacency and/or failure to observe proper procedures.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, Lord Jestocost and anorlunda
Physics news on Phys.org
If only _every_ activity involving any chemistry related wasn't automatically considered dangerous and ended in locking threads.

Yes, I often feel like many jerk knee reactions to chemistry experiments count as chemophobic. Not only at PF, that is quite general, not far from "if it contains chemicals, it must be bad".

Likes BillTre
Borek said:
"if it contains chemicals, it must be bad"
I contain chemicals and I am BADDD! :eek:

• Love
  • Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu and Bystander
Borek said:
If only _every_ activity involving any chemistry related wasn't automatically considered dangerous and ended in locking threads.

Yes, I often feel like many jerk knee reactions to chemistry experiments count as chemophobic.

I am guilty of that in the past, and I've tried to do better the past couple of years. I'm pretty good at judging the level of posters in the EE forum (and electrical questions in the DIY forum), and whether their proposed projects are inherently dangerous for them. But for chemisty posts and posters, not so much. So I try to Report such posts to ask for help now.

I won't get into my idiot ventures into chemistry, including the time I almost blew up my ChemE roommate in college (with an explosive that he taught me how to mix/process, BTW), or the time at my work many years ago trying to use a highly volatile chemical in a fume hood, and it started dissolving my protective rubber gloves... :wideeyed:

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and BillTre
berkeman said:
my idiot ventures into chemistry
Been there, done that. :oldbiggrin:

dlgoff said:
Been there, done that. :oldbiggrin:

Yep...

• Wow
Likes Drakkith and pinball1970

1. Why does PF restrict dangerous activities?

PF restricts dangerous activities in order to ensure the safety and well-being of its members. These restrictions are in place to prevent accidents and injuries that could potentially harm individuals.

2. What types of dangerous activities does PF prohibit?

PF prohibits a wide range of dangerous activities, including but not limited to: extreme weightlifting, acrobatics, gymnastics, parkour, and any other activities that could potentially put individuals at risk for injury.

3. How does PF enforce these restrictions?

PF enforces these restrictions through its staff members, who are trained to monitor and enforce safety rules and regulations. Additionally, members are required to sign a liability waiver and agree to abide by all safety guidelines.

4. Are there any exceptions to these restrictions?

In some cases, PF may make exceptions for certain activities if they are deemed safe and appropriate by staff members. However, these exceptions are rare and are only made after careful consideration and evaluation of the potential risks.

5. Can I still get a good workout at PF without participating in dangerous activities?

Absolutely! PF offers a variety of equipment and classes that can provide a challenging and effective workout without the need for dangerous activities. Our staff members are also available to assist you in creating a safe and effective workout plan.