Why the diamond-like-carbon coating works well with water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of DLC coating without hydrogen (a-C or ta-C) in engineering devices and its ability to provide good friction and wear resistance with water lubrication. The speaker is surprised by this and wonders if it is due to chemical reactions or the coating's resistance to rust. They also mention the difficulty in finding the reason for this in research papers. Another person responds by explaining that using water as a lubricant has benefits such as providing a sacrificial layer and cooling the surface to prevent burning. They cite a Wikipedia article on the topic for more information.
Nahahahah
Hi everyone.
I have a question with a DLC (Diamond-like-carbon) coating.

In many papers, the DLC coating without hydrogen (a-C or ta-C) shows very good frictional properties and wear resistance with water lubrication.

I'm studying on eco-friendly engineering, so I surprised that water can be used as lubricant in engineering devices with this coating.

But why the DLC coating shows that good friction and wear properties with water lubrication??

Is it by chemical reaction? or just it does not make rust with water? (then, why not stainless steel??)

I'm searching the papers to know the reason, but it is not easy...

Please help me!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think using water as a lubricant has a couple of benefits. It provides a replaceable sacrificial layer that can wet and protect the DLC surface by binding with any free surface bonds. Diamond is sensitive to heat, the water cools the surface and so prevents burning that might happen with a surface exposed to air and high contact pressures.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon#Tribology

1. Why is diamond-like-carbon (DLC) coating beneficial for water-related applications?

The unique properties of DLC make it an ideal coating for water-related applications. It has high hardness, low friction, and excellent corrosion resistance, making it durable and long-lasting in water environments.

2. How does DLC coating interact with water molecules?

DLC has a highly hydrophobic surface, meaning it repels water molecules. This property allows for water droplets to easily slide off the surface, preventing any build-up or damage.

3. Can DLC coating improve the performance of water pumps and turbines?

Yes, DLC coating has been shown to significantly improve the performance of water pumps and turbines. Its low friction and wear resistance properties reduce energy loss and increase efficiency.

4. Is DLC coating environmentally friendly for water-related applications?

Yes, DLC coating is environmentally friendly as it does not contain any toxic materials and does not release harmful substances into the water. It also prolongs the lifespan of equipment, reducing the need for frequent replacements and minimizing waste.

5. Are there any limitations to using DLC coating for water-related applications?

While DLC coating is highly beneficial for water-related applications, it can be expensive and difficult to apply in certain situations. It also requires proper maintenance to ensure its effectiveness over time.