Why the fundamental laws of nature is the way it is?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
PhysicsMonk
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
The world seems to me to be rather arbitrary. I don 't know if people feel the way I do.

Scientists apply for government grants to gather data, and conduct experiments. Some scientists look at the data, and write down equations. If those equations are sufficiently fundamental, then some people called them fundamental laws of nature. Later on, more people do experiments, look at equations, and attempt to write down a set of( or one) equations that is suppose to express even more fundamental deep regularities. The question I wonder about is "why?". Why these regularities? Why don 't we live say live in a universe with a completely different set of fundamental laws? I can 't imagine self-reflective observers can live in a universe with a logically contradictory set of laws, but why now a universe with a set of non-contradictory set of laws? The laws cannot be too simple, because there might not be any life. So, why don 't we live in a universe with a set of consistent laws, and complex enough set of laws that are able to produce self-reflective thinkers?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
You seem to answer your own question. A universe with different rules would be not only strange, but quite unstable.
 
My favorite answer is "because it follows from the principle underpinning the laws."