Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why the magnetic moment is zero for occupied levels?

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    I can not get convinced why for energy level, filled with an even number of electrons, the net magnetic moment is zero!
    If we have a level with the quantum number l, we have two electrons with opposite spins in it. Also magnetic moment is proportional to Jtotal where [itex]J_t= J_1+J_2[/itex](1and 2 refer to electrons). Moreover [itex]J=L+S[/itex]. If magnetic moment were to be zero, the [itex]J_t[/itex] must be zero. How can we show that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Isn't the correct statement that the magnetic moment is zero only for an atom whose subshells are completely filled. That is, electrons occupy all m values for a given L, so that Σm = 0

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3
    OK, But if so(Σm = 0) we can only deduce that the z-component of L is zero not the L itself!

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Along every z-axis. A closed subshell is spherically symmetric, i.e. its total L is zero.

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5
    Thank you very much. It just remains another question:
    By the above statement, do you mean that in all the spherically symmetric systems, If we have a z-component, then we have x and y component? In this case, the uncertainty principle would be invalid!

7. Jun 11, 2013 #6
    Well if you have 0 total angular momentum which way is the J vector pointing? If you can tell which way it's pointing, how do you know it's projection on the (x,y,z) basis?

Granted the quantum angular momentum vector really doesn't "point" in a specific direction when if is non-zero, but you see my point.

8. Jun 12, 2013 #7

Bill_K

Science Advisor

No, of course not, that is not at all what I said. A closed subshell contains 2(2l+1) electrons, an electron pair occupying every possible value of m. The wavefunction is a Slater determinant, and is spherically symmetric, i.e. invariant under rotations. Not just the potential is spherically symmetric, the total wavefunction is spherically symmetric. This means the total L value is zero.

EDIT: Are you thinking that [Lx, Ly] = iħ Lz is an example of the uncertainty principle? The uncertainty principle gives the commutator of variables that are canonical conjugates, which Lx and Ly are not.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook