1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Why this function has an inverse function

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    Ok, i need to explain why this function has an inverse function. fr^-1

[math]fr(x) = 1.5/sinx[/math]

and state its image set & domain.

Is that (0,1/2Pi]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Triangle

You realize that 1.5/sin(x) = 1.5csc(x), right?

On what interval(s) is 1.5 csc(x) one-to-one? There are a bunch, so pick one. If you haven't already graphed y = 1.5 csc(x), you should do that now, since it will give you a good start on determining domain and range for the inverse.

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3

here we are plotted:

so how do we get the image set and domain

Attached Files:

• iii.jpg
      iii.jpg
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Feb 1, 2010 #4

how does this explain that is has an inverse function

6. Feb 1, 2010 #5

Mark44

You should increase the size of the interval to, say, -pi to pi. You're getting only a small part of the graph of y = 1.5 cscx.

When you find an interval for which the graph is one-to-one, then the domain for your inverse will be the range of y = 1.5 csc x, and the range for the inverse will be the domain for y = 1.5 csc x.

7. Feb 1, 2010 #6

Mark44

If you have a function that is strictly increasing or strictly decreasing, it is one-to-one. Every one-to-one function has an inverse.

What you're trying to do is to find an interval for which y = 1.5 csc(x) is one-to-one, and on which there is an inverse for this function.

8. Feb 1, 2010 #7

ok Thanks - so how do i go about do that? basically from my attachment, i need to explain why fr has fr^-1, stating the domain and image set a hand would be great with it please

9. Feb 1, 2010 #8

Mark44

I'll say it again:
    If you have a function that is strictly increasing or strictly decreasing, it is one-to-one. Every one-to-one function has an inverse.

What you're trying to do is to find an interval for which y = 1.5 csc(x) is one-to-one, and on which there is an inverse for this function.

10. Feb 1, 2010 #9

i hear what you're saying bud, but any advice how to take that further? I dont have a clue :(

11. Feb 1, 2010 #10

Mark44

You have a graph of y = 1.5 csc x. See post #5 and what I said about using a larger interval. Can you look at a graph and tell whether a function is one-to-one, either overall or over some part of its domain?

12. Feb 2, 2010 #11

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You were told in your problem that the domain of fr is [itex](0, \pi/2][/itex]. Do you see why 0 is not included? For x arbitrarily close to 0, fr(x) is arbitrarily large. What is [itex]fr(\pi/2)[/itex]? What is the range of fr?

Taking the inverse of a function "swaps" domain and range.

13. Feb 2, 2010 #12

the range is the function is 0 < x < 1/2pi

Thanks for helping

14. Feb 2, 2010 #13

Mark44

The principal domain of fr(x) = 1.5*csc(x) is [-pi/2, 0) U (0, pi/2]. The range of this function is (-infinity, -1.5) U (1.5, infinity). In the original post of this thread, you guessed that the domain of fr was (0, pi/2], but the domain is actually quite a bit larger.

15. Feb 3, 2010 #14

so do we make it?

for the inverse the image set (range)

(0,1/2pi]

for the domain

(1.5, infinity)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  16. Feb 3, 2010 #15

Mark44

Yes, but those domain/range sets are only half of the story. The inverse function is defined at, for example, -2.

Did you ever get a better graph of y = 1.5csc(x)? The one you had in post #3 was too limited.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook