Why Use a Dummy Variable in the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
66 replies · 13K views
cyrusabdollahi said:
What the bleep??...

i think it was in empire strikes back when obi-wan tells luke not to go try save leia/han/chewie/etc & that it's a trap, he should wait until his training is done before he faces darth vader, & yoda says "yes! to obi-wan you listen!"

edit: start at the beginning. can you tell us what is wrong (if anything) with writing
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^n f(n)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, your index starts at n=0, and goes to n. That would be like going from 0 to 0. n only ever takes on one single value.
 
how do you fix it & explain why it works the correct way
 
Last edited:
I love all of you! No, honestly, I am sorry for being a pain in your rear. I am thankful for all your help! (to mathwonk)
 
Well, to make it work you would have to change the n on top of the sigma to some other value. Then n can increment from zero to, let's say r. ( if we change that n on top of sigma to r.)

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^r f(n)[/tex] But I am not sure about the n inside the f(n), would it always remain at zero, or would it change? I think it would change. It would increment until it reaches the value of r and stops.
 
the d3 thing. the thing is that what the person who first poted it was trying to get across was something silly. ok? no, if g is any function then the symbol dg(x) is the same as g'(x)dx. right? but the original use of this was not to refer to 3 as a constant function but to simply a number. it is moot what the intention was. I *can* give it meaning, but that isnt' necessarily what was intended. maths isn't abuot some set of things that exist and come with notation already.
 
^^ stop confusing cyrus :cry:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Well, to make it work you would have to change the n on top of the sigma to some other value. Then n can increment from zero to, let's say r. ( if we change that n on top of sigma to r.)

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^r f(n)[/tex] But I am not sure about the n inside the f(n), would it always remain at zero, or would it change? I think it would change. It would increment until it reaches the value of r and stops.

yeah, & it's similar with [tex]\int_{t=a}^{x} g(t)dt[/tex]

just like you can give [tex]\sum_{n=0}^r f(n)[/tex] a name like F(r), we can give [tex]\int_{t=0}^{x} g(t)dt[/tex] a name like G(x), where G'(x) = g(x). the 'dummy variable' t 'increments' from 0 until it reaches the 'value' x.