Fundamental theorem of calculus for double integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of double integrals and how to find the antiderivative of a function and apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve it. The individual mentions that the current setup is called an iterative integral and can be solved by first solving the inner integral and then using that answer as the integrand for the outer integral.
Bruno Tolentino
I was reading about double integral when a doubt came to my mind: how to find the antiderivative of the function f(x,y), like bellow, and compute the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integral?

Integrale_multiplo_-_parallelepipedo.png

[tex] \int_{2}^{8} \int_{2}^{6} f(x,y) dx \wedge dy = ?[/tex]

OBS: It's not an exercise. I know how to compute the integral above, but, I don't know how do it through of the antiderivative and applying the theorema fundamental of calclus, like that [tex] \int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx = \int_{a}^{b} \frac{dF(x)}{dx} dx = F(b) - F(a)[/tex]. I'm not found anything similar to this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you've set up is called an iterative integral. In its current form, you solve it by first solving the inner integral and then making that answer the integrand for the outer integral. So essentially you can turn a double integral into two single integrals.

1. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals?

The fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals states that if a function f(x,y) is continuous on a closed and bounded region R, then the double integral of f over R can be evaluated by integrating the partial derivatives of f with respect to x and y over the boundaries of R.

2. How is the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals used in real-life applications?

The fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve, determining the volume of a solid, and finding the average value of a function over a given region.

3. Can the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals can be extended to higher dimensions. This is known as the multivariable version of the theorem, which involves integrating over three or more variables.

4. How does the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals relate to the Riemann sum?

The fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals is closely related to the Riemann sum, which is a method for approximating the area under a curve. The theorem essentially states that as the size of the partitions in the Riemann sum approach zero, the value of the double integral approaches the exact area under the curve.

5. Are there any limitations or conditions for the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals to be applicable?

Yes, there are some limitations and conditions for the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals to be applicable. The function must be continuous on a closed and bounded region, and the boundaries of the region must be well-defined. Additionally, the region must not contain any discontinuities or singularities.