Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why use diesel oil in fracking?

1. Jul 1, 2017 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Without getting into the environmental controversies about fracking, why would using diesel oil in the process be useful just from an engineering standpoint? Is it used to lubricate the machinery?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you provide a reference for that?

Ive no idea but if you are fracking for oil I suppose it makes some sense to use an oil based fluid to avoid contaminating the oil?

4. Jul 2, 2017 #3

1oldman2

Gold Member

5. Jul 3, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Page 3 para 2 of that first link describes some reasons diesel might be used.

6. Jul 3, 2017 #5

JBA

It was interesting to read about the use of petroleum for well fracturing. I worked for Skelly oil and then for Halliburton R&D back in the late 1960's and the only fluid I ever saw used then in Oklahoma was water, or actually brine from water producing wells. Fresh water could not be used in any well that contained any percent of clay in the producing formation because it would cause the clay to swell and seal off the sand pores shutting off the flow of oil.

7. Jul 4, 2017 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting insight. Thanks JBA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted